+ Reply to Thread
Page 87 of 512 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137187 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wine & Whisky Thread

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Default Wine thermometer

Discovered in Maplin - a rather "nifty" wine bottle thermometer:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/digital-wine...mometer-662388

At only £2.49 (on offer until 16.04.13), this is a useful little "gizmo" to check the temperature of your wine. It clips around the bottle, and whilst there is no indication of accuracy, I believe the accuracy is sufficient for practical purposes.

Used it today to ensure the temperature of my bottle of Bordeaux was 17 - 18 degC.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-04-2013 at 19:07. Reason: additional information
    Barry

As an update to the above post and having read the information on the side of the box, I can now tell you:

Indoor temperature accuracy: +/-1 deg C
    Indor temperature resolution: 1 deg C

"Measures bottle temperature which is one degree higher than contents"

I believe this is sufficient for practical purposes.

The thermometer comes with fitted with a CR2025 lithium cell, but I can see no way by which the cell can be replaced. Since the device is activated when it is clipped around the bottle and deactivated when removed, the battery life should be long; but when exhausted it would seem the thermometer has to be thrown away!
    Barry

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one, Barry. That's a neat little device

Anyway, I don't normally remember to recommend the real ales I drink, but this one I'm quaffing now is special enough to have reminded me to make the effort:

If you love pale ales, such as Deuchars IPA, then this unusual American beer should hit the spot: creamy as a very creamy thing, with an attractive richness and refreshing citrus hit - luvvly jubbly!

Details here: http://www.anchorbrewing.com/beer/humming_ale

Available in the UK from Beers of Europe: http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/anchor-humming-ale

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

2009 Château Cap D’Or Saint Georges – Saint-Emilion, Bordeaux

Gold Medal Winner Vignerons Independants Concours 2011.

Châteaux in the tiny outlying village of Saint Georges may use the Montagne Saint Emilion appellation for their wines but a number continue to assert their own identity, taking pride in their excellent terroir. Typically for this part of Bordeaux, Château Cap d'Or grows mostly Merlot, which is well suited to the clay rich soils, and produces lush, ripe, plummy flavours. That's just what you'll find in this wine, plus a gentle wrap of oak.Like many properties, the estate crafted one of its finest clarets to date in 2009 - "perhaps the greatest vintage Bordeaux has ever produced" (Steven Spurrier). To enjoy the wine at its best, open an hour beforehand and decant to let it breathe. Delicious with red meats - roasted, casseroled or grilled.

80% Merlot, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon. 14% ABV, £15 a bottle

2009 Château Portal Minnervois Vieilles Vignes

Gold Medal Winner Concours Mondial, Bruxelles 2010.

Château Portal is one of the leading estates in the Minervois, with a history dating back to the 11th century. The property was home to French nobility throughout the Middle Ages and to this day retains a restored 8th century chapel. Jérôme Portal's 80 hectares of vines grow right next to the region's top cru, La Livinière, so it's little surprise the quality is so high.Cuvée Jérôme is crafted mainly from rich and spicy Syrah supported by raspberry rich Grenache and spicy Carignan - the incredibly intense flavours of which are due to rare 100 year old vines. Ageing for a year in lightly toasted French oak barrels imparts extra complexity. Serve this splendid southern French red with traditional cassoulet or roast shoulder of lamb.

14% ABV, c. £11 a bottle

I can highly recommend both of these!
    Barry

Thumbs up Tesco 2012 Ogio, Pinot Grigio

Spring, at long last, is now here - so it's time for vin blanc. Tesco have on half-price offer (£4.99) the 2012 Ogio, Pinot Grigio. 12% ABV

This is my favourite pinot grigio. Offer ends 25.04.13.
    Barry

2009 Château Peybourdieu, Médoc

When it comes to positioning the quality of a Bordeaux vintage, critic Robert Parker is highly influential. His verdict on 2009? It "may turn out to be the finest vintage I have tasted in 32 years". Shortly after this pronouncement, prices of leading crus classés wines soared. That's why we delight in discovering sensibly priced classics like Château Peybourdieu. Winemaker Denis Cayé is the third generation of his family at the property since 1956. In 2009, grape quality was so exceptional he had little to do in the cellar other than let nature do its work. A 60/40 blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot, this is thoroughly delicious, satin smooth Médoc with cassis, liquorice and cigar box character. Well suited to roast duck or lamb.”

Another ‘belter’ from Laithwaites. 14% ABV, £9.99 a bottle.

Decanting is recommended as a small amount of sediment will have formed.
    Barry

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Ooh, that sounds good Barry... I might have to abuse my Laitwhaite account!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

2011 Réserve du Dolmen, Minervois

A cheeky little wine that may amuse you with its presumptive nature….

Minervois is a rugged, mountainous region between Béziers and Carcassonne. It was the first place in southern France where the Romans planted vines. Exceptional terroir and low yields enable Minervois' growers to get real depth and concentration in their wines. (The fact that they do so at such highly competitive prices is a tribute to their dedication and perseverance.)This intense red comes from the multi award winning Lauran Cabaret cellars. Most of the grapes were vinified traditionally, although the portion of Carignan was fermented in whole bunches to accentuate fruitiness and minimise tannins. Enjoy its ripe, red berry flavours and herbal complexity with grilled or roasted red meats, light game, rich pasta dishes or mature cheeses.

A blend of Syrah and Grenache Noir. 13.5% ABV £8 from Laithwaites.
    Barry

Good evening oenophiles,

Of late I have been going through a Médoc ‘phase’. I have already waxed lyrical about the 2009 Fleur de Mothe (sadly finished my last bottle!). This time I want to commend another Médoc to you, the

2009 Château Cerestin La Lande

Region: Garonne Grape variety: 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Merlot. 14% ABV.

Jean-Marc Sauboua was born into the elite world of Bordeaux wine. He is himself an accomplished winemaker and now, as our claret buyer, he draws on his valuable little black book of 'wine chums' to help track down exceptional clarets ahead of the UK competition. To follow up a lead, Jean-Marc drove out to some tucked away Médoc vineyards in the little village of Saint Christoly. There he met with François Arnaudy, seventh generation owner of Château Cerestin La Lande, and tasted his truly sublime 2009 vintage.A blend of equal parts Cabernet and Merlot from the fruit of 30 year old vines, this is a classic Médoc with exceptional vintage ripeness and balance. It's best when decanted an hour in advance and enjoyed with roast lamb or duck.

This has received mixed reviews; one good review, one poor. Maybe the latter was a bad bottle? I loved it, 2009 was an excellent year (and so too was 2010) and am thinking of buying a case (Marco?)

Laithwaite’s, £11 a bottle.

Have just opened my last bottle of the 2007 Le Grand Chai, Margaux. Enjoyed with chicken breast in a tomato and basil sauce, baked tomato, potatoes, baby carrots, fine beans, peas and broccoli and spinach.

Have you tried your bottle yet Marco? What did you think of it?
    Barry

I'm Nobody.

I think it was the 29th March the last time booze touched my lips

+ Reply to Thread