+ Reply to Thread
Page 217 of 510 FirstFirst ... 117167207215216217218219227267317 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,170 of 5100

Thread: The Wine & Whisky Thread

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I never drink to excess and almost never get drunk
    I would consider I do drink to excess (especially if you look at the government's recommendations) but I too almost never get drunk. "Comfortably numb" would be an apt description on a hi-fi forum! Last time I was properly drunk was about 25 years ago. I just get more chilled and then usually fall asleep - alcohol has never made me get aggressive or (in my opinion!) become an asshole. I'd say I'm a friendly drunk!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    I would consider I do drink to excess (especially if you look at the government's recommendations) but I too almost never get drunk. "Comfortably numb" would be an apt description on a hi-fi forum! Last time I was properly drunk was about 25 years ago. I just get more chilled and then usually fall asleep - alcohol has never made me get aggressive or (in my opinion!) become an asshole. I'd say I'm a friendly drunk!
    Lol... Friendly is the way to be. I hate folk who get all irritable or aggressive with alcohol!

I've not even been "comfortably numb", probably since I was a teenager. The absolute MOST alcohol I consume, in any given day, is if on a Sunday I have a couple of aperitifs before lunch, then share a bottle of red with Del. And you know how much food I normally have with Sunday lunches, to help mop up the booze!

But that's it, and often I don't have an aperitif and perhaps only a glass and a half of wine. The rest is either re-corked (air pumped out first) and enjoyed the next day, or Del, who's a bigger boozer than me lol, will finish it off herself. And I rarely have wine during the week (last night was an exception with the cheese and Beaujolais Nouveau), and no more than a couple of bottles of beer from Mon-Friday, sometimes none.

I just don't 'need' or crave alcohol [plus I lead a stress-free life, so unlike some don't need booze to 'calm down' or relax after work]. I have always respected alcohol, and so *I* control it, rather than it controlling *me*. Fortunately, I also don't have an addictive nature, so don't tend to crave things or develop bad habits. But quite simply, I value my good health too much to abuse alcohol.

Moderation, in anything, for me is always the key

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Ha - well, you see that's where we're different! I much prefer the grape to the grain, so whereas I love quality cask ale, I'm happy with just a pint of it, but could quite easily drink half a bottle of quality wine or Champagne - all however with appropriate food...

And that's also where I suspect we're different - you're much more of a drinker than me, without food. I never drink to excess and almost never get drunk, plus I rarely have alcohol without food!

Marco.
    TBH we drink bugger all at home, unless we're hosting.

I rarely drink anything during the week as it affects my training and that's a big no-no...

We'll buy wine in at this time of year, always like to get a few cases in for Christmas as we have a lot of various family gatherings, but we've still bottles in the rack from last Christmas!

I don't deny that we do drink and can drink a lot when we're together with family; but it's always around a meal etc. I can have a drink or 3 on a saturday and it can make mondays training session not good, so it's all in moderation. But there are times were that has lapsed, as we've all had

However, I wind down this time of year; always have around 3 weeks off as it's the only real break I get the whole year; running your own business rarely lets you switch off, but as all my clients are winding down too, it works hand in hand. So, with that, I take 3 weeks off training too. My body is generally in pieces this time of year due to the silly weights and stones I lift, but also it's simply to have a rest from it all. So it's nice to enjoy a few whiskies in an evening whilst chilling out watching a good film or listening to music in my man-cave/office.

I don't get plastered; did enough of that in my 20s to realise that it's not for me. I'm a happy/giggly drunk; I don't get overly serious nor nasty
    Bigger than you...

My Office : 2021 M1 MacBook Air > Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB interface > JBL 308P MkII active studio monitors on Atacama SL600 stands via Van Damme TRS to XLR balanced cables
    The spare room : Music via iTunes & internet > ATV3 > optical into a Fiio D3 DAC > SMSL SA50 integrated > AE109 speakers - QED cables

I'm Grant.

Sherry finally appeared. They said it was going to be Monday but got it today
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The bottle of port I have.
    Single harvest tawny from 2006.
    Maynards

Was 11 years in the barrel
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Robert.

Gents, (and ladies of course )

Need your help please.

Could you kindly recommend me a top notch Whisky for a Christmas gift to my son in Oz, something that maybe punches above its price range would be great.

Looking to spend up to £50 and would like to purchase/send via Amazon.

Any good offers out there at the mo ?

Thanks !
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Grant.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Do you know that one? Is it good?

To Robert, who asked the question, do you know what sort of whisky your son likes? Also, do whiskies from Amazon travel well to Australia? Does Amazon whack a huge surcharge on, or are there import duties? Might need to check - but you may know already.

My guess is that out of ignorance the suggested Aberfeldy might do the trick, but its a Highland malt, so not necessarily with the strong peaty flavour one gets from Islay, nor the flavours of the Speyside malts. Quite by accident we recently discovered Glen Moray - Elgin malt - mainly because it was the only one we didn't know in an airport store, and we wanted to take it on the plane. It's a lot cheaper in stores, or even at Amazon - though not on such a good offer as the Aberfeldy (which I don't know at all) right now. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Glen-Moray-...HNSVFCHQ5MKW0S It's a pleasant, middle of the road sort of drink - I detected chocolaty flavours.

For more brutal peaty flavours look for Laphroaig, Lagavulin, or perhaps Talisker (though some Talisker variants tinkered with the smoky flavour).
    You might also get a good deal on Bowmore - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bowmore-No-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

For smoother flavours try Speyside malts. Tomintoul isn't bad. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tomintoul-Y...31QTA8GHCPAC2M

Possibly the Singletons are good, and also the Aberlour and Highland Park. There are many to choose from. Some whiskies are smoother, more like brandy - I'm less familiar with those. Scan through the "Customers who bought this item also bought" section at the bottom of most of the whisky offerings on Amazon and see what catches your eye, or is on a good offer.
    Dave

I'm Grant.

vanilla, peaches, ginger, oak and a touch of peat in flavour but not on nose really. its very good, especially at this price.

and yes there will be enough surcharges i would think to make it unattractive, but check amazon australia. your uk amazon info will work there too
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

another top whiskey, this time Irish, but dont be put off... they do a heavily sherried version too but this is very good stuff..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Redbreast-S...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread