+ Reply to Thread
Page 226 of 512 FirstFirst ... 126176216224225226227228236276326 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,260 of 5114

Thread: The Wine & Whisky Thread

I'm Adam.

What is it?
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Grant.

Daiquiri?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Suppose it could be a lemon drop as well.. Lol
    Not big on cocktails but are fun to make.

Merry Xmas to you all..
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    What is it?
    Lol - were you lot *that* drunk yesterday?

Read the title of the post!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dan.

Weapons of choice for today (there's a Chapel Down and Nyetimber English Sparkling in the freezer too, chilling nicely)

My Office : M2 Mac Mini Pro > Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB interface > JBL 308P MkII active studio monitors on Atacama SL600 stands via Van Damme TRS to XLR balanced cables
    The spare room : Music via Apple Music > ATV3 > optical into a Fiio D3 DAC > Arcam Alpha 10 integrated > B&W 602 S3s or AE109 speakers - Van Damme cables

What food are you having with them, Danny-boy? Obviously if you're having fish, I'd go with the Pouilly-Fumé [gorgeous wine], but it could also be drunk on its own. I'm unfamiliar with the red next to it, but know Fleurie very well and always enjoy it. It's very 'florid', light and fruity, which I'm presuming is a style of wine you like?

I was under the impression you preferred 'big hitters', such as Musar?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    What food are you having with them, Danny-boy? Obviously if you're having fish, I'd go with the Pouilly-Fumé [gorgeous wine], but it could also be drunk on its own. I'm unfamiliar with the red next to it, but know Fleurie very well and always enjoy it. It's very 'florid', light and fruity, which I'm presuming is a style of wine you like?

I was under the impression you preferred 'big hitters', such as Musar?

Marco.
    The whites/English Sparklings will be an aperitif really; we're on smoked trout/salmon and pickled herring as nibbles etc; roast fore rib and goose as the 'mains'; but it's more like a walking buffet this afternoon

The Fleurie; like you said, very light and fruity, but a lot more complex than something like a Beaujolais or similar. The Mollydooker is an Aussie red, at 16% it's a good, rich and very full bodied red, not overly alcohol in its taste, very similar kick to the likes of a Bulls Blood or Il Bombero etc. It'll suit the goose and beef well; it's this years replacement to the Musar for today. We had a 93' Musar yesterday and a 2000 Pomerol, both were splendid
    My Office : M2 Mac Mini Pro > Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB interface > JBL 308P MkII active studio monitors on Atacama SL600 stands via Van Damme TRS to XLR balanced cables
    The spare room : Music via Apple Music > ATV3 > optical into a Fiio D3 DAC > Arcam Alpha 10 integrated > B&W 602 S3s or AE109 speakers - Van Damme cables

Ah, cool... All sounds good! The 2000 Pomerol must've been a stunner

Anyway, hope you enjoy your day, The food sounds great!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Ah, cool... All sounds good! The 2000 Pomerol must've been a stunner

Anyway, hope you enjoy your day, The food sounds great!

Marco.
    It wasn't straight out the bottle... Like an unhappy Pauillac haha We decanted it yesterday around 8am, had a quick taste and it was harsh and very dry... But a good 5 hours plus of it breathing next to a warm radiator; it was a stunner! Get the turkey & trimmings out of the way and had a small glass; very, very good indeed. The right kick of oak, the right kick of grape skins and vine cuttings and then a peppery/plummy/fig and date taste to it with vanilla and damson jam on the back taste... As odd as it sounds, it went bloody well with cold pigs in blankets The red cut through the fattiness etc If you can find one, buy it and enjoy it!

I'm looking forward to the goose this afternoon we've homemade pickled chillies and mostarda de frutta (mustard fruits); I used home grown Williams pears and very small conference pears with mustard seeds/dry cider and red chillies. First time I've ever done these and they're superb; it was a River Cottage recipe I used

Hahaha... All part of the fun of the wine experience! In terms of the warming up, I thought you'd have had your coal/log fire on, so why the radiator? I've got a nice flat log I use to sit wine on, to the side of the log burner, and use that to bring wine up to temp

As you say, aeration (along with decanting for older wines) is absolutely essential, in order to for them to release their full potential. However, in terms of aeration, simply popping the cork and leaving the wine to 'breathe', no matter for how long, really don't achieve much, as without decanting, all you're doing is allowing air into the gap inside the neck of the bottle. It's not circulating throughout.

To achieve effective/optimum aeration, I normally just decant. However, I've wanted a proper wine aerator for ages, and got this for Christmas:

Works great and what a difference it makes!! Honestly, it transforms the drinking experience and really brings out everything that's good about the wine in question, especially in terms of fruit flavours. 2000 was a fab year for all 'clarets', including Pomerol. Do you also enjoy a good burgundy? Anyway, you need to post more about the wines you drink, not just whisky!

Hope you enjoy your goose, ours yesterday was fab!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread