+ Reply to Thread
Page 232 of 510 FirstFirst ... 132182222230231232233234242282332 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,320 of 5100

Thread: The Wine & Whisky Thread

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yup, and you know how to live without needing booze

The key is to enjoy things with being dependent on them.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymonoped View Post
    Belated Birthday present off no. 2 son. Looking forward to trying this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That’s a good whisky
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Something a bit more modest in price:

2016 Le Vieux Château Guibeau Puisseguin Saint-Émilon

80% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon and 10% Cabernet Franc
    14% ABV £23 a bottle.

2016 Château la Croix des Hugons Bordeaux

Gold Medal Winner, Paris 2016
    13% ABV About £20 a bottle

2007 Château Capbern Gasquiton Saint Estèphe

91% Cabernet Sauvignon, 6% Merlot and 3% Petit Verdot

13% ABV About £25 a bottle (Down to my last two bottles! )

2017 Château Le Bonalguet Bordeaux

Triple Gold Medal winner
    12.5% ABV £14 a bottle

2017 Épiphanie de Saint-Estèphe Saint Estèphe

12.5% ABV £30 a bottle
    Barry

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Crikey Barry, you on a bender tonight!?

Afraid my knowledge of Bordeaux is rather limited, but I do like a nice Saint-Émilon.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Nice collection there, Barry. I reckon, however, that the 2007 Château Capbern Gasquiton would've been the star of the show

The 2016 Le Vieux Château Guibeau Puisseguin Saint-Émilon would've been right up my street, too...

I have a fair amount of claret in my wine collection, probably around 35 bottles - a mixture of Haut-Médoc, Côtes de Bourg, Saint-Émilion Grand Cru classé, Pomerol and Margaux, but tend to keep it for special occasions, the same as my collection of red and white Burgundy, although it depends on what we're eating

Have you ever explored the red wines from Provence? Bandol is an *exceptional* wine - like a good claret, but earthier, deeper and slightly smoother on the palate. This one is stunning: https://www.vinatis.co.uk/34630-band...astide-blanche

You tend to get better value with wines from the south of France, so that one's probably the equivalent of £30 Bordeaux! I'd thoroughly recommend you give it a go, as I think you'd love it

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Anto.

I never have a wine collection , its more of a stack of 25% off at Sainsburys November stuff ,that gets drunk at first few months of the year !
    Having made my own home made wine and brew ,over the years , I find the cheapest that I like to drink mostly ,then go for it like some old wino !!
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nice collection there, Barry. I reckon, however, that the 2007 Château Capbern Gasquiton would've been the star of the show

The 2016 Le Vieux Château Guibeau Puisseguin Saint-Émilon would've been right up my street, too...

I have a fair amount of claret in my wine collection, probably around 35 bottles - a mixture of Haut-Médoc, Côtes de Bourg, Saint-Émilion Grand Cru classé, Pomerol and Margaux, but tend to keep it for special occasions, the same as my collection of red and white Burgundy, although it depends on what we're eating

Have you ever explored the red wines from Provence? Bandol is an *exceptional* wine - like a good claret, but earthier, deeper and slightly smoother on the palate. This one is stunning: https://www.vinatis.co.uk/34630-band...astide-blanche

You tend to get better value with wines from the south of France, so that one's probably the equivalent of £30 Bordeaux! I'd thoroughly recommend you give it a go, as I think you'd love it

Marco.
    Thanks - I'll look out for that one Marco.

I really should drink more Burgandy - keep meaning to order a case of Chateauneuf du Pape or of Nuits-Saint-George, but other things just crop up and I forget.
    Barry

No worries, if you try the Bandol I think you'd love it. Remember though that Châteauneuf-du-Pape is a Rhône wine, and not from Burgundy

Nuits-Saint-Georges, however is fabulous, although Gevrey-Chambertin is where it's *really* at with red Burgundy. However prices, especially of the best vintages, can be eye-watering!

Pommard and Savigny-lès-Beaune can offer decent value with Burgundy, but the use of Pinot Noir will mean quite a different style of wine than you're used to from Bordeaux!

Chinon and Saumur-Champigny are also beautiful red wines from the Loire Valley

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Kevin.

Château neuf is normally over priced, compared to the equally good Vacqueyras and Gigondas IMHO.
    There are also some cracking wines from the local area of Fronton and Gaillac.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
    I never have a wine collection , its more of a stack of 25% off at Sainsburys November stuff ,that gets drunk at first few months of the year !
    Having made my own home made wine and brew ,over the years , I find the cheapest that I like to drink mostly ,then go for it like some old wino !!
    Yeah, Anto, I know what you mean. I used to be like that too, but now enjoy having a range of wines at home from different countries, and different styles, in red, white and (good quality) rosé, although the latter is usually drunk during summer months, but sometimes outside of that with fish and seafood dishes.

That's the thing for me too, as both Del and I are major foodies, so like to pair the right wine with the right food, and we also enjoy entertaining and having dinner parties with friends and family (nothing too formal, though). Plus, I'm always on the lookout for bargains or unusual wines, so can't resist picking up something when I'm in shops and supermarkets. However, it's always consumed in moderation, so doesn't end up being 'necked' just because it's there...

Generally, I like to keep a stock of around 100 bottles, but often it ends up being much more!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread