+ Reply to Thread
Page 216 of 510 FirstFirst ... 116166206214215216217218226266316 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,160 of 5100

Thread: The Wine & Whisky Thread

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibster_2000 View Post
    Champagne is overrated in my opinion. I would much rather have an Italian sparkling wine, or a Blanquette de Limoux (who argue this was the original French sparkling wine).
    I don't disagree, Kev, particularly about Italian sparkling wine, which is as underrated as Champagne can be overrated! Something like this (serious Prosecco) is, IMO, up there with some of the best Champagne: https://haywines.co.uk/product/basti...sive-prosecco/

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

Actually I do have my eye on a bottle of whisky as well.. But I'm trying to resist
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I completely agree, *unless* you're spending around £100 a bottle on the good vintage stuff. Perrier-Jouët La Belle Epoque, especially the pink version, is our favourite. Or for something a little more affordable, Pol Roger Reserve: https://www.waitrosecellar.com/fine-...rut-reserve-nv Both are great of examples of 'proper Champagne', worth the money.

*BUT*... In terms of English sparkling wine, see my post here about Morville St Gregory: https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...83#post1145183

We tasted their pink sparking, and it was superb, and for £18 a bottle, bonkers good value! They're still working on their website, but email them or give them a call, and they'll ship out what you want. Honestly, Dan, it's top-notch!

Marco.
    Belle Epoque I'm a big fan of; breaks my heart to bin the bottles But I'd still rather go English. I prefer the dry, chalky greenness of them compared to the dry but floral notes of Champagne

Unfortunately I don't get on with Prosecco; for some reason it gives me terrible acid reflux, but Cava and English sparkling I've no issues with, at all

Big fan of Nyetimber & Ridgeview; Simpsons Beora is lovely, but not worth it's price-tag IMO, it's more of a £20 bottle to my taste

I think I'll also get some decent perries in; I love my cider, but again, some of the stuff kills my stomach, but zero issues with perry... I think my stomach has expensive tastes haha
    Bigger than you...

My Office : 2021 M1 MacBook Air > Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB interface > JBL 308P MkII active studio monitors on Atacama SL600 stands via Van Damme TRS to XLR balanced cables
    The spare room : Music via iTunes & internet > ATV3 > optical into a Fiio D3 DAC > SMSL SA50 integrated > AE109 speakers - QED cables

Interesting that you get acid reflux with Prosecco, but not Cava No idea why that would be... How many different types pf Prosecco and Cava have you tried?

I'm with you though on cider, done well, but less though on perry... It's all coming out now though, not only is Dan the man a supper of sweet sherry, he a Babycham Boy! Something tells me you like exploring your feminine side, eh sweety

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Interesting that you get acid reflux with Prosecco, but not Cava No idea why that would be... How many different types pf Prosecco and Cava have you tried?

I'm with you though on cider, done well, but less though on perry... It's all coming out now though, not only is Dan the man a supper of sweet sherry, he a Babycham Boy! Something tells me you like exploring your feminine side, eh sweety

Marco.
    Yes, I own a skirt (kilt) and not afraid to admit it...
    Bigger than you...

My Office : 2021 M1 MacBook Air > Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB interface > JBL 308P MkII active studio monitors on Atacama SL600 stands via Van Damme TRS to XLR balanced cables
    The spare room : Music via iTunes & internet > ATV3 > optical into a Fiio D3 DAC > SMSL SA50 integrated > AE109 speakers - QED cables

I'm Dan.

But re Prosecco, no idea. Just know that it’s acidity does me in & I've tried a lot

Usually a glass of fizz is enough for me though, want to get onto the cask ale sooner rather than later really
    Bigger than you...

Ha - well, you see that's where we're different! I much prefer the grape to the grain, so whereas I love quality cask ale, I'm happy with just a pint of it, but could quite easily drink half a bottle of quality wine or Champagne - all however with appropriate food...

And that's also where I suspect we're different - you're much more of a drinker than me, without food. I never drink to excess and almost never get drunk, plus I rarely have alcohol without food!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

Prosecco is less acid than many wines tbh. Perry is better again.
    Might be the gas tho along with acid and sugar
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

I'm not good with gas now
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

You're good though, at GAS RELEASE!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread