+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 512 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118168 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wine & Whisky Thread

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one, Barry - enjoy! Just one thing, as I know you like to be correct, the 'Grigio' in Pinot Grigio is spelled "Grigio", and not "Grigot", as you have written it

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Corrected! Thanks Marco - I'm so used to drinking French wine, as you know, I inadvertently added a "t".
    Barry

I'm openingabottleofwine.

From a thread elsewhere....

Quote Originally Posted by Marco
    Hi Barry,

It was a 2009 Masi 'Masianco' Pinot Grigio e Verduzzo delle Venezie:

And absolutely delicious it was, too! Masi are one of the top producers of Pinot Grigio, so if you really want to sample the true elegance and finesse of this particular grape variety and raise the bar a little over the supermarket offerings, that's the one to go for. The Verduzzo grapes add a little more body and complexity to the finish over a standard PG

It's around a tenner a bottle, so a quality slurper with supper, and not too 'serious'. I got this one a while ago from Oddbins, but not sure who'll stock it now. Best to Google for it - enjoy!
    Good one Marco. Looks like Masi are reliable producers of, not only Amarone, but of whites. Will look out for it (once I have exhausted the case of Ogio).

Lunchtime, for me was a little more prosaic: down the pub drinking with mates. Too hot today to be drinking ale; so a couple of pints of Peroni Nastro Azzuro drunk with a smoked mackerel and beetroot salad, with a honey and mustard dressing.

Cheers
    Barry

If you've got a Morrisons near you, I can thoroughly recommend this Canti Pinot Grigio Rosé:

http://www.morrisons.co.uk/Food-and-...ne/?WineId=620

Served ice cold, it slips down really nicely, in this current hot weather, with a lovely fresh salad Niçoise !

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Paul.

Does anybody know where I can buy this Danish brewed lager in the UK?

I used to buy it (nearly 20 years ago mind) from an off-license called Macs in Buckingham - pure nectar with a lovely aroma.

I also used to like that beer, but haven't seen it for ages!

For unusual beers, I order from the following website, particularly for topping up our stash of booze at Christmas. I've used them before on numerous occasions and can highly recommend them.

They have quite a few Danish beers, in this section, which might tickle your taste buds:

http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/acata...h_Beer_81.html

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Barry.

Hello all,

Thank you for the wine/ale rec's. I have written down about a dozen of your Bordeaux wine rec's and searched for them locally with no luck. It's like trying to find a local jazz or classical radio station - good luck... Anyways, I have been trying different wines since the late 70s and have developed some definite likes and dislikes (dislikes don't mean they're bad, just not my thing). I'd like to hear some of yours? I'll start by listing a few of mine and see if anyone wants to respond.

Likes: Casanova di Neri - Rosso (and Rossos generally), Dolcetto d'Albas in general, esp. lighter ones, Cotes du Rhone in general, Morellino di Scansano, M. Lapierre Morgon, any single domain Chiroubles

Dislikes (so far - things change): Malbecs, Calif. Merlots, Shiraz, Zinfandel, any ones that hit you over the head like a sledgehammer or are so dry you'd swear they used stones instead of grapes, or are cloying or vinegary

Best,
    Barry

Hi Barry,

I suspect that you and I have very similar tastes!

I can relate in particular to your love of quality Italian wine. How about some Duca Enrico, Barbera d'Asti Riserva Speciale, Sassicaia, Amarone, Cannonau di Sardegna Riserva or Brunello di Montalcino, to name but a few?

Yum, yum!

However, I shall comment more later

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Barry.

Thank you Marco. I know I can find most of these locally. I just feel like Italian gives me the best balance and complexity w/out spending crazy$$$. I feel like most wine people I run into in this country are overly influenced by Robert Parker and have a tendency to place wine on some kind of trophy pedestal (metaphorically speaking). They don't have a balanced approach that places wine as part of the overall meal. Also, I can't tell you how many expensive wines I've tried only to feel they weren't worth the money and simply went for bigger, bolder flavors. I look at the descriptors at my local shops and all I see are words like: big, bold, concentrated, blockbuster, and an RP score, what happened?...I have to admit my wine tastes are very different from my beer tastes. I tend to drink wine w/ food and look for finesse and elegance, complexity... With beer, I drink it alone usually and like to be knocked out by rich flavors (Imp. Stouts, Belgian Dubbels). With wine I want violins not tubas.

Best,
    Barry

I'm Barry.

Hello,

I am unfamiliar with Duca En rico or Cannonau - can you tell me something about them? (Amarone and Cote-Rotie are the 2 "big" wines I've tried that I like because they're still elegant and have so much going on.)

Best,
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread