+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 512 FirstFirst ... 456781656106506 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wine & Whisky Thread

The Macallan is matured in sherry casks, they are made from oak,
    That´s it: "sherry casks", and I believe some are made in Galicia.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Finally, I´m greatly surprised that all of you are very conscious when spending money on wine.You know, in wine are too many fashions -and fiascos- as in, let´s say, the audio industry. In the end is only wine, it´s not an elixir for eternal life or to stop losing hair. I put into practice the same assesment method when buying audio gear: it´s only audio gear and it can´t cost as much as a car for instance
    I agree with the basic sentiment of what you say, but, personally, I think a true enthusiast would pay much moe for their audio system than a worthless piece of junk that is a car. Afterall, if ity were possible, many of us would sooner use public transport than a car, no ?

Anyway, I was without a car for 18 years. I didn't have any use fpr one. Now I drive to work everyday, because it's quicker; but my audios sytem, if I were to pay new prices cost much more than my car.

I have to add tha the discovery of the bereford Dac and the Technics sl1210 has severely dented that rationale.

regards

Peter

P.S. Just downed some very nice 2002 Coteaux du Languedoc
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.
    Powered by Custom-HiFi-Cables DC2 psus

I'm Nick.

Just enjoying a very nice glass of Marks And Spencer's Organic Ale, 6%. It really is top notch. I don't normally hold out much hope for own-brand beers, but this one is a real favourite...

Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one, Beechy. I'll give it a go. I wonder if our resident expert connoisseur of fine ales, Mr Toy, has sampled that one?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nick.

I guarantee; if you like strong beers, you'll love it. Let me know how you get on!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Not tried the M&S beer yet but I can thoroughly recommend some excellent red wines on special offer from Sainsbury's:

Roc De Lussac - 2006 Lussac Saint-Émilion (appellation Lussac Saint-Émilion contrôlée), reduced from £10.99 to £5.99 a bottle.

This is a stonkingly good claret with bags of depth and finesse which one expects of a good Saint-Émilion, and represents extraordinarily good value. I've paid three times that amount and more for claret and it's been no where near as good; one to savour. Ideal with a nice Sunday roast!

Another in a similar category is a 2004 Chateau Blaignan Médoc (appellation Médoc contrôlée), reduced from £9,99 to £4.99 a bottle. It doesn't quite have the silky finesse of the Lussac, but plenty of full-on tanins due to some decent bottle aging from a 2004 vintage. Again, this is a real bargain if you like good quality claret.

Last but most certainly not least is a very fine Tempranillo from the La Mancha area of Spain called Castillo De Calatrava, reduced from £9.99 to £4.99. This is a 1998 Gran Reserva (no less!) and is big, bold and juicy in the way of a top quality Rioja, with similar oaky vanilla overtones; great with a curry or perhaps a nice beef Wellington.

Anyway, I'd advise anyone interested in these wines to get along to their nearest Sainsbury's and snap them up because at those prices they're bound to sell out fast!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Tony.

Last but most certainly not least is a very fine Tempranillo from the La Mancha area of Spain called Castillo De Calatrava, reduced from £9.99 to £4.99. This is a 1998 Gran Reserva (no less!) and is big, bold and juicy in the way of a top quality Rioja, with similar oaky vanilla overtones; great with a curry or perhaps a nice beef Wellington.
    I'll go along with that! My wife Liz loves this particular red. It seems that Sainsbury's manage to do "1/2 price" reds that are really decent and yet the whites never really seem to measure up. I wonder why that is?

Cheers,
    Tony

I'm Greg.

It's because all their bottle stoppers are taken up in your CDP and Dac

As italian I must suggest a bottle of Amarone from Verona, a superb red wine. Price is high but worth.
    Everyone says Montepulciano but there is even a cheaper Montepulciano d'Abbruzzo that isn't so bad. These are some red wine hints.

I'm Nobody.

Been downing Jacobs Creek 'Shiraz Cabernet' for the last fortnight.Does me at 14.0% but i frefer slightly weaker vol alchol..Used to 12-12.5% Vol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 512 FirstFirst ... 456781656106506 ... LastLast