+ Reply to Thread
Page 429 of 512 FirstFirst ... 329379419427428429430431439479 ... LastLast
Results 4,281 to 4,290 of 5114

Thread: The Wine & Whisky Thread

I'm guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    It always amazes me how adding a drop or two of water (no more) to a half decent whisk(e)y can bring out its flavour.
    I only add water to stronger whisky (if I find it a bit "harsh" on first tasting), it can open up different flavours, but if overdone just makes the drink bland.
    Your post made me look it up, this is quite interesting (although I don't believe the solubility bit - surely insoluble material would make the whisky hazy/fall out of the solution?)
    I'm sure Grant will have a good idea what is going on

https://blog.scotchwhiskyexperience....ter-to-whisky/
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm guy.

Just had a thought, could it be that weakening the alcohol gives your taste buds a chance to "recognise" what is going on?
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    It always amazes me how adding a drop or two of water (no more) to a half decent whisk(e)y can bring out its flavour.
    yeah depends on the whisky and strength etc but its all about the ethanol molecule. its odd and one end is hydrascopic(is that the word?)(attracts water)and other hydraphobic.(repels water). anyway ethanol in large concentrations stay away from surface, and block molecules like guaiacol from reaching surface, air and your taste buds get hit with ethanol only. i think ethanol kind of turns and rises attracting the taste molecules to the air and you when the % is dropped.
    Summat like that anyway lol..
    Whisky that hasnt been chill filtered is usually bottles at 46% and above or it will go hazy if any water is added(you might even find floaters in it lol). Nothing wrong with it, it is just floc, and some flavours too. if you leave some ncf whisky out overnight it might(if not cask strength) go a sort of opaque colour.
    Cask strength whiskies need diluting really as the alcohol is going to all be at top og glass pointing the wrong way, so add water until you start tasting whisky and not all ethanol(and dont get prissy if it clouds over.) there is no real right ammount, just what you like, and use bottled water.(you dont want chlorine etc in it)
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm guy.

Ahhh - hadn't really thought of ethanol molecule being polar.
    OH end will be hydrophilic (water loving - "H" bonding with water)
    CH3 end will be hydrophobic (water hating)
    Easiest to think of it being akin to tiny little magnets - oppositely charged ends will stick or clump together (Like how soaps/emulsifiers work, hydrophobic end of molecule sticks to oils etc)
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Robin.

Nearly always add a splash of water to whisky
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin626 View Post
    Nearly always add a splash of water to whisky
    yup i mostly do too. varies from literally a few drops from a pipette to a largish splash lol
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Sherry Bomb
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Ian.

Think i have a guest from sweden over at Easter. He likes whisky. I dont. Thought it would be good to get a bottle in for him, something a bit different without spending a fortune. Not too difficult to get hold of. Any suggestions

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ian View Post
    Think i have a guest from sweden over at Easter. He likes whisky. I dont. Thought it would be good to get a bottle in for him, something a bit different without spending a fortune. Not too difficult to get hold of. Any suggestions
    Mackmyra are a Swedish whisky company. you can get their wares online. but probably better with a Scotch malt. Swedes like lightish stuff i believe so maybe Glen Grant. Their cheapest is a 10 yr old, but the 12 is much better but still reasonable at about 40 ish. If you feel richer then their 18 yr old will set you back 120 quid but is super stuff and a nice box too.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Ian.

Scottish or english for sure

+ Reply to Thread