+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 510 FirstFirst 123451353103503 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wine & Whisky Thread

I'm ILOB.

Olde Roger is a dark strong ale I have not drunk in years but when I did I would turn me into Marvin The Parnoid Robot I suddenly start talking deeply about life and the universe so my friends banned me from drinking it hahaha
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

LOL. No worries, John. I just haven't heard of Marvin The Parnoid Robot

Was he/it some cartoon kind of cartoon character?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    LOL. No worries, John. I just haven't heard of Marvin The Parnoid Robot

Was he/it some cartoon kind of cartoon character?

Marco.
    I think that should be Marvin The Paranoid Android, a character from The Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy.
    "Always carry a large flagon of whisky, in case of snake bite and, furthermore, always carry a small snake."

Kevin

Ah, Kevin, thanks for that... I didn't really follow The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy that much. I only watched it occasionally.

I can see where John is coming from now

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm ILOB.

Ah Yes Sorry its Marvin the Parnoid Android
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

Default Chaps, if you fancy a top-notch Rioja...

Well, I've just enjoyed a none too shabby bottle of Rioja from Tesco's 'Finest' range with some extra matured Welsh beef sirloin steak, griddled under charcoals, and served with a béarnaise sauce, green beans, sautéed mushrooms, 'proper' French Fries, and a side salad. Yum!

The wine is called Vina Maria, and it's a 2002 Reserva. I'm buggered if I can remember how much it was, though... Probably just short of a tenner. But you can really taste the aged for (6 years), 'oaky' quality and rich tannins this wine has. It is also silky smooth with a ripe 'jammy' quality and the traditional vanilla notes associated with a fine Rioja. Slurp!

Right, after a somewhat boozy lunch I'm off to chill out to some quality choons...

Laterz!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Olde Roger is a dark strong ale I have not drunk in years but when I did I would turn me into Marvin The Parnoid Robot I suddenly start talking deeply about life and the universe so my friends banned me from drinking it hahaha
    I was just going to extoll the virtues of 'Owd Rodger' (for it is he) 7.6% of the most amazing elixir ever... the wife treated me to a case of 12 from some internet emporium having come across a bottle or two on holiday, and I guess I'm about half way through the shipment.

Adnams Broadside is great. Sainsbury's stock it, Tescos recently discontinued their stock...

As a session ale I like Tesco's 3% 'Best Bitter'.

Old Peculiar is a regular favourite.

And Uley Old Spot on draught when I'm out in the country.

Oh yes

I'm ChrisB.

It was Owd Roger that nearly caused my death by alcohol as a student!

Nowadays, however, as a sophisticated adult in responsible employment, I nearly kill myself with far posher drinks than that.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Lately I've been trying many many Rosé wines, and whilst I love them all, I have found that some of them give me deadly heartburn. Typical for something pleasurable.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

You're not supposed to eat the cork, too. That's where you're going wrong mate

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread