+ Reply to Thread
Page 191 of 510 FirstFirst ... 91141181189190191192193201241291 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,910 of 5100

Thread: The Wine & Whisky Thread

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

No worries, they've both had Amarone in from time to time. The Aldi one was particularly good, though

As I said, forget Aldi or Lidli if you prefer New World wines, especially 'big-boned' Chardonnays. They have a few wines along those lines that are ok, but it's really more a place for Italian, French and German wines, sometimes also Portuguese. Plus, the Prosecco they sell is some of the best (and cheapest around), ditto the likes of Pinot Grigio. Barry, take note!

In terms of Portuguese wine, I bought a bottle of DAO Riserva last week from Aldi, and it looks like a stonker - this one for a mere £6.99: https://www.aldi.co.uk/d%C3%A3o-rese...84233246523000

Interesting comments here in this customer's review (the other reviews of this wine are equally praiseworthy):

Quote Originally Posted by Aldi feedback
    A quality wine at an excellent price! Forget New World wines - concentrate on lesser known & often overlooked Old World areas that flavour & value! I have already bought more!
    My sentiments precisely!

Now if it's as good (rich and full-bodied), as I suspect it will be, and comparable with DAO wines of this quality sold elsewhere, then it'll be another Billy Bargain!

The place to look for wine in Lidl, which I'd say was generally the better of the two for wine, is in the 'wooden crate' areas, nearest the tills, not further back in the main wine section, which is mostly full of stuff that's fairly ordinary.

Also, they frequently have 'bin ends', which can be interesting, leftover from their various themed promotions (Italian or French Week, and so forth), and which are located in the middle isles, next to some of their 'world foods' and fancier food items.

Bargains, such as that DAO, are the sorts of wine finds that intrigue me, as anyone can go into a 'fancy' independent wine shop or supermarket and drop a wad of cash on something 'expensive'. However, that doesn't guarantee it'll be good, or most importantly test your knowledge or ability to find a bargain!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Julian.

Gents, am going to try a mixed six case from Majestic.

Any tried and tested suggestions apart from the Chardonnay and Viognier? Would like to get four nice reds I think, under a tenner each ...
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

Hi Julian,

Justers would be the one for 'tried and tested', as I rarely use Majestic, but failing that if you tell me your style/taste preferences, and which countries you prefer, I'd be happy to look through their list online and offer you some reccos, based on your budget.

I'm reasonably good at marrying folk's tastes to website descriptions, using my wine experience, as I'm familiar with most grapes

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Justin.

I'm not really a Majestic regular. I only knew about the Bread & Butter because of a neighbour asking me what I thought of it.

The next time (tomorrow) I go I am not going to mess around. 6 bottles of B&B! I got three decent reds that last time I went and 3 B&B. I am not a white wine fan when it boils down to it. Which is interesting considering the action I am about to take.

Don't reject the Viognier... Honestly!!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Julian.

Hi chaps - I’ve not used Majestic for a long time … Tried them years ago and got too many poorly stored bottles from them to bother again, but I thought I’d try Justin’s B+B and a few others to see if they’ve improved.

I’ve had a sniff round online and found a few things that look interesting but I’d certainly appreciate it Marco if you could take look at their Italian reds for me - much as I enjoy a really good Chianti they are extremely variable in quality so something else perhaps. I'm quite partial to a decent drop of Primitivo too ...

Cheers.
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Don't reject the Viognier... Honestly!!

Marco.
    5 bottles of B&B.

And a spankie botty for Marco if he is wrong about the Viognier.

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    I’ve had a sniff round online and found a few things that look interesting but I’d certainly appreciate it Marco if you could take look at their Italian reds for me - much as I enjoy a really good Chianti they are extremely variable in quality so something else perhaps. I'm quite partial to a decent drop of Primitivo too ...
    Ok, leave it with me. I'll have a shuftie later. The secret with Chianti is always to go for a Riserva DOCG (one with a picture of a black cockerel on the neck of the bottle). That being the case, you shouldn't go wrong

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    5 bottles of B&B.

And a spankie botty for Marco if he is wrong about the Viognier.
    Lol - I guarantee you won't enjoy it as much as the B&B, but I think you'll like it, and if so it'll give you another option to consider in future.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    Hi chaps - I’ve not used Majestic for a long time … Tried them years ago and got too many poorly stored bottles from them to bother again, but I thought I’d try Justin’s B+B and a few others to see if they’ve improved.

Cheers.
    I have been to Majestic a few times. It's no guarantee of greatness by any means.

What I do like is the ability to just walk in and try a few, though. You can easily have a good sized glass of wine+ for free doing that.

+ Reply to Thread