+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 510 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wine & Whisky Thread

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Spod,

Not many people these days follow it strictly to the letter; normally it's just a case of doing without something you really enjoy (in my case nice wine - I'm less of a beer fan) or simply going to church and praying more! As I'm a nice, shy, quiet boy and never sin that would be pointless

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nick.

It's why they invented Purgatory, Marco
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

Just got back from Newcastle Beer Festival, so excuse any typos. Can I just say, for anyone who judges beer by the stink, aka bouquet, St George brewery's "Friar Tuck".

Worra utter gorgeous smell. Pint of caramel, yes please.

Let's hope it doesn't turn into a pint of caramel and diced carrots on the carpet later!

Glad you had a good day out!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Let's hope it doesn't turn into a pint of caramel and diced carrots on the carpet later!

Marco.
    Animals...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Marco.
    One of the few advantages of age - experience, not only is my bed made but I have the "puking bucket" next to it along with with paper towels and a large glass of water. Oh yes, been there, done that, more than once!!!!

(p.s how come there's abusive and drinking smillies but no pukey smilies??)

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Default My alcoholic tastes

Having mentioned wine as one of my interests in my introductory posting to the AOS forum, I notice that you already have a thread going that caters for this interest and other matters alcoholic, so I’ll add my contribution.

Like a lot of things, I know what I like, rather than why I like, so don’t expect any in-depth tasting notes (or any notes at all).

Beer

The following is a list, in no particular order, of the beers that I like:

Bass
    Wadworth ‘6X’
    Fuller’s ‘London Pride’ and ‘ESB’
    Marston’s ‘Pedigree’
    Burton IPA
    Theakston’s 'Olde Peculiar’
    Courage ‘Director’s’ (Don’t laugh, I was weaned on Courage)
    Sharp’s ‘Doon Bar’
    SA Brain’s ‘Reverend James’
    Green King ‘Speckled Hen’
    Ruddles ‘County’

When the Bass is on top form, it is ‘nectar’ and then my favourite beer.

I don’t know too much about Belgian beers, apart from thoroughly enjoying a couple of bottles of ‘Leffe’ a few months ago.

One beer that has become a particular favourite of mine over the last couple of years is
    Conwy ‘Honey Fayre’.
    This is a live bottled beer, 4.5% ABV, brewed along with a couple of other recipes by a microbrewery just outside Conwy, see www.conwybrewery.co.uk for details.

As for lagers, I like Czech Budwar and Italian Nastro Azzuro. I do tend only to drink lager in the summer.

Whisky

Laphroiagh (my favourite)
    Aberlour
    Lagavulin
    Auchentoshan (not that I can afford it)

Whiskey (spot the pedant)

Bushmills

Armagiac

Janneau XO Royal

Most of the time I enjoy Tesco Armagnac VSOP 40%. At around £16 for a 70cl bottle this is a remarkably smooth brandy and good value for money.

Wine

I prefer red wine and tend to go for French wines. This is not out of any sense of snobbery; rather I have just drunk more of them, so know what I like.

Rhone region:

Chateauneuf du Pape
    Cotes du Rhone

Burgundy region:

Nuits St George

Bordeaux region (my main interest):

St Emilion
    Margeaux

Of these I have recently enjoyed, inter alia, the following:

Chateau Grand Saint-Andre, 2003, Bordeaux AOC
    Chateau Gachon Cuvee Saint-Georges, 2004, Montagne Saint- Emilion AOC
    Chateau la Fleur Blanchon, 2005, Lussac Saint-Emilion AOC.

I have half a case of the Chateau Castelbruck, 2004, Margeaux AOC and a whole case of the 2005 to look forward to.

Other reds that I like are Spanish Rioja, and Italian Barolo.

Of white wine, I like Chablis, white Burgundy and Pouilly Fumee from the Loire valley. One of my favourites (readily obtainable in Tesco) is the Italian Castel de Jesu Verdicchio.

All this is making me feel thirsty – I think I’ll go and open a bottle of the Conwy Honey beer.

Cheers

Barry

I'm Shaun.

I love whisky with my first choice being Port Ellen and my second choice being Ardbeg of around 1978 vintage. Then I like whiskey with my favourite being Woodford Reserve.

If I have to choose a good wine it would have to be a South East Australian Shiraz along the lines of a Hardy's or a good reserve Chardonnay from Hardy's also.

For beer it's gotta be a fab pint of Timothy Taylors Landlord served at the White Swan Hotel in Pickering, North Yorkshire.

Food to accompany these delights would be nothing with whisky apart from a seriously good music/hi-fi session on vinyl but some form of Tapas or Greek Salad with a white wine whilst sitting in the garden on a summers day. Red wine would be a rather nice cheese whilst enjoying the company of close friends. Beer...? A nice lunchtime session...!!!

Default Way hey, Lent is over...

...and after 6 weeks without alcohol I can enjoy some nice red wine!

Currently slurping a rather lovely Haut-Médoc (Chateau Lanessan 2004) along with some roast Guinea Fowl wrapped in Serrano ham in a mushroom and Madeira sauce with Dauphinoise potatoes, asparagus and baby carrots...

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Nick.

I always feel sorry for the baby carrots...
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 510 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast