+ Reply to Thread
Page 106 of 510 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116156206 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 5100

Thread: The Wine & Whisky Thread

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
    This one probably doesn't sell as well as hoped:

I'm quite partial to a good rioja. How do you rate the Chiton? Is it 'chit hot'?
    Barry

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

No, it gave him the runs!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Returning yesterday from taking Del out for her birthday to one of our favourite haunts in Brecon: http://www.eatdrinksleep.ltd.uk/Drink.aspx we had an amazing bottle of wine with dinner, which I thought I’d mention here for anyone who may be interested in trying it.

I’ve long been a fan of the renowned and superb rosé wines from Bandol, but this particular red is rather special. Wines from Provence can often be somewhat different from the norm, offering an alternative drinking experience, and this Bandol red, from the small Chateau of St Anne, is one such wine:

A very interesting story behind the wine, here: http://www.wineterroirs.com/2011/08/...ne_bandol.html

Fortunately, one of my favourite local wine merchants sells it (£27 per bottle): http://definefoodandwine.com/

Think the usual fruity intensity of red wines from the south of France, but with the finesse and earthy depth of flavour of a very good Bordeaux. Trust me, a bottle of this would accompany your Christmas turkey (or other roast) perfectly. Great with Stilton, too - a veritable stonker for sure!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Julian.

I don't often go to Budgens but was there today and decided to take a punt on Palacio Rojo Gran Reserva 2008, reduced from 10.99 to 5.99 a bottle.

*Exceptional* value for money. Lovely ripe fruit with good depth and weight - you can really taste the bottle age.

Last edited by julesd68; 22-12-2014 at 20:18. Reason: it's not Rioja ...
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    I don't often go to Budgens but was there today and decided to take a punt on Palacio Rojo Gran Reserva Rioja 2008, reduced from 10.99 to 5.99 a bottle.

I do like a good Rioja but find so many modern style Riojas too lightweight and generally dissapointing. This one however is *exceptional* value for money. Lovely ripe fruit with good depth and weight - you can really taste the bottle age.

Thanks for the recommendation Jules, my Mrs likes a Rioja (and says I literally live in our local Budgens !) so I'll take a punt - Cheers. Hope you and fam' are good by the way

I'm Julian.

hey Rob, what a plonker I am - obviously drunk too much of this stuff - it's not actually a Rioja!!

It is however oak aged Gran Reserva and mainly Tempranillo, so tastes very similar to a good Rioja - give it a try, your Mrs should like it unless she prefers a lighter style of wine - it's definitely on the full bodied side ...
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Robert.

hey Rob, what a plonker I am - obviously drunk too much of this stuff - it's not actually a Rioja!!

It is however oak aged Gran Reserva and mainly Tempranillo, so tastes very similar to a good Rioja - give it a try, your Mrs should like it unless she prefers a lighter style of wine - it's definitely on the full bodied side ...
    Will definitely still grab a bottle as the Mrs does prefer full bodied.

I don't often go to Budgens but was there today and decided to take a punt on Palacio Rojo Gran Reserva 2008, reduced from 10.99 to 5.99 a bottle.

*Exceptional* value for money. Lovely ripe fruit with good depth and weight - you can really taste the bottle age.

Looks nice, Jules - I’m sure that’ll hit the spot!

Just been to DeFine wine in Sandiway (Cheshire) to buy the Bandol [as shown earlier] for lunch on Christmas day. Picked up a rather fine Barbera there, too. A 45-mile round trip to buy a bottle of wine… But hey, it is utterly gorgeous, and so looking forward to slurping it!

Marco.
    Main System

Do any of our resident red wine drinkers like Beaujolais Nouveau? We like its light and fruity flavour, and the fact that it tastes ‘young’ and vibrant. Currently enjoying a rather fine one from Tanners (with some Brie de Meaux and oatcakes):

http://www.tanners-wines.co.uk/beauj...fils-2014.html

Marco.
    Main System

I'm simon.

i am partial to a rioja and we have a new budgens up the road. i will pop over and get one on boxing day, cheers
    DIGITAL:flac/pc/foobar/wasapi>Chord Qutest> Frans' (Solderdude) headphone correction filter>Violectric V200>Senn HD650, Beyer DT1990
    >or Garage 1217 Project Ember (as pre)>Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10.
    ANALOGUE: Rega P8>Rega Aria> Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10

+ Reply to Thread