+ Reply to Thread
Page 103 of 510 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 5100

Thread: The Wine & Whisky Thread

I'm James.

My favourite Ale by a country mile is Marstons Owd Rodger. It's bloody brilliant, careful though it's 7.4%
    Drinking one now actually

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    That's mainly because the attitude towards drinking beer there is different. Europeans favour the use of smaller glasses, replenished more frequently, in order to keep beer cool, rather than having a pint of beer sitting around for longer getting warm

However, if you drink pints of beer quickly enough, I guess that isn't a problem! I like it abroad when specific beers have their own matching glasses. This is especially prevalent in Belgium, where you get 'beer lists' in pubs and restaurants, rather like one gets wine lists here. Class!

My bugbear in the UK is pints of lager being filled right up to the rim of the glass, allowing no room for a head... That almost never happens in Europe, where an inch or so is allowed at the top of the glass for a nice frothy head, which is how lager or beer should be served... I want to have a nice 'beer moustache' after I take my first sip!!

Marco.
    Ale, as distinct from lager should be drunk at room temperature. A distinction lost on Americans with their taunts at our "warm, flat beer".

Agreed, re. Belgium beers and matching glasses.

Regarding head, that depends on the brew and how quickly the glass is filled. Personally, the size of the head doesn't bother me - it's all about the taste: some brews have very little head. (As a smutty aside: what do you think the reaction would be if one were to approach the bartender and ask if they "could give me some more head"?)
    Last edited by Barry; 19-06-2014 at 23:49. Reason: spelling!
    Barry

I'm ChrisB.

A head is OK if you're in the north and the glass is designed to take it. Give one to a southerner in a southerner's glass and watch out ...............grrrrr!

I’ve been banging on for sometime now about what an excellent year 2009 was for Bordeaux, to the extent I have been buying up as much of the 2009 as I can lay my hands on. Well now I’m pleased to say that 2010 – 2012 were also good vintages. In particular:

2012 Château Bernot, Bordeaux

This Gold medal winner (Concours de Bordeau 2013) comes from a 400 year old chateau south of St Emilion.

70% Merlot and 30% Cabernet Sauvignon. 12.5% ABV

Good depth of flavour with an acceptably long finish. Lovely fruit, spice and mineral notes to the nose. At only £10 a bottle I can thoroughly recommend this charming Bordeaux. Can be drunk now, but ought to take on further complexity over the next couple of years.

Enjoyed with a Chicken Parmigiana: chicken fillets topped with roasted aubergine, tomato and basil sauce, a light Parmigiano sauce and breadcrumbs. Served with boiled potatoes, broccoli, French beans and red cabbage.
    Barry

2010 Château du Touginas, Bordeaux

80% Merlot 20% Cabernet Sauvignon 14% ABV

Gold medal winner: Concours de Bordeaux, Vins D’Aquitaine 2011

Yet another superb 2010 vintage.

Description:
    This treasure comes from Entre Deux Mers, the oldest winemaking region of Bordeaux situated between the Dordogne and Garonne rivers. Château Touginas is a small estate owned by the Guilhon family, third generation winemakers of the region.

Tasting Notes:
    The vines are planted in the classic clay and limestone soils of the region and, at 30 years old, produce fruit of excellent concentration. Along with the rest of Bordeaux, the estate enjoyed excellent vintage conditions in 2010, and has produced one of its best wines ever. A perfect choice for dinner parties or special occasions and particularly delicious will roast lamb or beef.

£12 a bottle from Laithwaites.
    Barry

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    My favourite Ale by a country mile is Marstons Owd Rodger. It's bloody brilliant, careful though it's 7.4%
    Drinking one now actually
    Good taste there James, rather like that one myself. I like an ale with flavour, and plenty of it.
    A new one to me is Dragons Blood from Holdens brewery, as it happens we were staying very close to the brewery in the UK.

Had to have a little re-stockage for our French 'cellar':

Just drinking a Holdens Golden Glow at the moment,
    Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

Ummm! Old Speckled Hen and Spitfire.

Those are a couple of my favourite bottled beers, along with Marston’s Pedigree, Fuller’s London Pride and Sharpe’s Doombar.

Cheers
    Barry

I'm Alan.

Has to be ESB from Fullers for me Barry, one of my top favourites.

Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Andr'e.

The old Barbarian has been guzzling his Homebrew mucky Beer for the last gawd knows how many hours..

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice... Does it come out the other end the same way?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread