+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 510 FirstFirst ... 234561454104504 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wine & Whisky Thread

I'm BigBobJoylove.

The cork's not a problem, it's chewing the bottle that hurts the most.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Daniel,

That would be great as I love wine but my knowledge of Spanish wines isn't on the same level as for example Italian and French wines so your expertise in that area would be much appreciated

I love big, 'powerful', rich full-bodied reds, hence why I mentioned Rioja. My favourites are Faustino Gran Reserva and Marques de Riscal. But if you can recommend me something of that nature which is outside of the mainstream, and providing I can get it, I would be very interested.

Perhaps you could contribute to this thread:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=506

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Default Spanish wines

I was in debt with you all and Marco reminded me that today.

I can suggest this spanish wines:

1.- Azpilicueta (Rioja, Crianza, 2005): made from Tempranillo, Graciano and Mazuelo grapes. 12 month in wood cask and another 12 month in bottle. The character of a Rioja but with rounded edges. This wine is a best seller in my restaurant. You can find it in Spain for 7€ in a supermarket.

2.- Muga (Rioja, Crianza, 2004): 70% tempranillo, 20% Garnacha, 10% Graciano y Mazuelo. 24 month in wood barrel. A true classic Rioja lots of body. More expensive than the other one, maybe 12€ in a supermarket.

3.- Condado de Oriza (Ribera del Duero, Crianza, 2003): One of my favorite and pretty unknown Ribera. It has what I look for in red wine: long and elegant in mouth that you taste gently until the end. You don´t have to figth with it to undestand it and enjoy it. In a spanish supermarket: 6€.

My advice: Don´t waste lots of money on wines. There are "crianzas" that are pretty good for much less than "reservas". And don´t forget: take advantage of the broad competition in wine market.

I'm Peter.

Daniel, Marco

I like spanish plonk too. There's some truly excellent wines in spain. I lived in pamplona for a while just after Franco.

But for a quick taste and to see if you want to go further, Yous should try a Taja, it's a Jumilla and it's not expensive. It should fit your base requirements.

I'll be going to andalucia in November and I'd likey to have an idea of what to look out for.

OTOH, I'd be really thrilled if someone would give me some vega sicilia

cheers
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.
    Powered by Custom-HiFi-Cables DC2 psus

I'd be really thrilled if someone would give me some vega sicilia
    Don´t waste your money on Vega Sicilias, instead try "Alión" a very good Ribera from the same wine maker.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Guys,

Some good tips here. I will come back to this thread later

Today we enjoyed a lovely bottle of 2004 Chateau Des Abeilles Saint-Émilion, so not Spanish, but very good nonetheless!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Don´t waste your money on Vega Sicilias, instead try "Alión" a very good Ribera from the same wine maker.
    what kind of price ?
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.