+ Reply to Thread
Page 184 of 512 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185186194234284 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,840 of 5112

Thread: The Wine & Whisky Thread

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post

I think you are supposed to drink IPA at room temperature, but I actually prefer it chilled - also makes it good for a summer tipple instead of lager (which generally I find too gassy) so although it may be a heinous crime, try one in the fridge as well...
    I drink the other 2 at room temp but I don't see why you can't have an ipa chilled. I'll pick a couple of these up at some point.

A brewdog bar has not long opened directly opposite my building in canary wharf. You want to see some of the prices in there for not even a pint (they do half and a third pint prices for the stronger stuff)

I will take a pic one day and post it in this thread I reckon it will shock some of you.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post

I think you are supposed to drink IPA at room temperature, but I actually prefer it chilled - also makes it good for a summer tipple instead of lager (which generally I find too gassy) so although it may be a heinous crime, try one in the fridge as well...
    As with anything, it's down to your own individual preference, so if you enjoy/prefer your ales chilled, then go ahead.

However, the 'official/correct' way to serve any real ale is cold, but not chilled. Temp range is between 10-14°C, with IPAs and other 'blonde' styles served at the lower end of that scale, particularly during summer months. Richer, dark ales, should be drunk at the higher end of that scale.

That's how I enjoy them, as the flavour is much better that way. But if you do chill ales, then don't do it to the same extent as you would lagers (ice-cold, with condensation showing on the glass or can), as you'll ruin the flavour that way!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Indeed - darker ales I wouldn't, but I do like a cold IPA.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Indeed, but what do you term as "cold" - as cold as a lager?

For me no, unless you don't drink your lager ice-cold, like I do... Something such as Bud, or Sol (with a slice of lime inside the neck of the bottle, oh yes very 80s) only tastes 'right' if it almost freezes your hand off when you grab hold of the bottle!

Now, I wouldn't want to be doing that with an IPA.... Cold yes, ice-cold, no.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

No, not ice cold - I generally put them in the top front of the fridge - and usually take it out for half an hour before drinking (if I remember) so more chilled than ice cold. I might try just putting some in cold water and see how the flavour changes. I definitely don't like warm beer of any kind - would rather it to cold than too warm!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Same here, although I thought warm (flat) beer was traditional in England?

Seriously though, that's why when you go abroad in Europe (and drink in places not largely populated by British tourists), you almost never see pint glasses used for serving beer/lager, simply because unless you're a *very* fast drinker, your last sips, leading up to and including the last one, will be considerably warmer than the first!

However, if you serve beer (lager) in smaller glasses, you drink it quicker, so it stays cooler... In Germany, it's therefore not uncommon (especially in traditional Brauhaus') for Pils beer to be served in tall, but very small, thin 0.2L glasses, ice-cold, with waiters/waitresses on hand to offer immediate ice-cold refills!

Like these (and almost a third of the content is taken up by a lovely frothy head):

Germans HATE warm and/or flat beer... I've got a waiter's 'serving 'tray' with a handle, which holds 8 of those glasses, that I use for parties, and which one of Del's German relatives bought for me from a traditional Cologne Brauhaus.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

pale ale should be served at around same temp as beer, ie, 7-11c... lager colder still usually around 5c. stouts etc ar cellar temp, which should be 13c
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Same here, although I thought warm (flat) beer was traditional in England?

Seriously though, that's why when you go abroad in Europe (and drink in places not largely populated by British tourists), you almost never see pint glasses used for serving beer/lager, simply because unless you're a *very* fast drinker, your last sips, leading up to and including the last one, will be considerably warmer than the first!

However, if you serve beer (lager) in smaller glasses, you drink it quicker, so it stays cooler... In Germany, it's therefore not uncommon (especially in traditional Brauhaus') for Pils beer to be served in tall, but very small, thin 0.2L glasses, ice-cold, with waiters/waitresses on hand to offer immediate ice-cold refills!

Like these (and almost a third of the content is taken up by a lovely frothy head):

Germans HATE warm and/or flat beer... I've got a waiter's 'serving 'tray' with a handle, which holds 8 of those glasses, that I use for parties, and which one of Del's German relatives bought for me from a traditional Cologne Brauhaus.

Marco.
    Totally agree after spending time in Germany, really struggled with pints when returned to Scotland . Just remembered there used to be a local measure of beer here called a “pony” which was about a 1/4 of a pint maybe less, my dad used to drink that sometimes with his whisky as he was never really a beer man, more of a half and a half man as they were known.
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin626 View Post
    Totally agree after spending time in Germany, really struggled with pints when returned to Scotland . Just remembered there used to be a local measure of beer here called a “pony” which was about a 1/4 of a pint maybe less, my dad used to drink that sometimes with his whisky as he was never really a beer man, more of a half and a half man as they were known.
    yup, an unofficial size but very common, especially in the west of scotland. 5oz glass
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Absolutely, Robin! In general, Brits need to start *savouring* and appreciating what they drink (and eat) more, and prioritise QUALITY more than quantity! Or focussing so much on price.

It shouldn't be about shoving any old shit down your gullet, posing as 'food', as long as it acts as 'sustenance', or pouring gallons of (not very cold, often flat) 'so-so' beer down your throat, just to get pissed.... Be more discerning, and savour/appreciate the quality and flavour of the food and drink you consume - that's the continental way

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread