+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 512 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wine & Whisky Thread

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Grant View Post
    That link brings up a virus / trojan warning in avast.
    really I've had no issues with it Symantec isnt picking it as a problem and the works network which it as secure as you can be has no issues with it.

it the trip that Oz Clarke & James May did on the train from Batley to Stalybridge stopping off at the stations with pubs on them.

Dewsbury was my Fav

I'm Mark.

Interesting

Avast reports a trojan as soon as link is clicked and blocks access,

AVG online link checker shows threats:

http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/siterep...ail.net&check=

Might just be false positives to try to encourage people to buy better virus software.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Default Moroccan wines

Having just spent some time in Morocco (based on Marraketch) I can report that there are some fine local wines to be enjoyed there.

The first to attract my attention was a vin gris ('grey wine'). I first came across vin gris in Madagascar; the art of wine making being brought not as you might think by the French but by Swiss missionaries. From memory I would have described this as a tawny coloured wine, darker than vin blanc, more the colour of whisky. But that was nearly twenty years ago.

The vin gris I enjoyed (a 2009 Guerrouane Gris, 12% Cinsault) had a distinct rosé tint, but it was not a rosé; they were listed separately. This vin gris was darker than a rosé. Served chilled (10 degC) it was perfect with barbecued fish.

I also tried a local white: a 2009 Cap Blanc Fruits de Mer Blanc de Blancs. This is made from 'clairette' and 'd'Ugni Blanc' grapes. Perfectly acceptable but not such a delight as finding the gris.

I tried a couple of reds. The first a 2009 Guerrouane Rouge, made from Grenache, Carignan, Cinsault and Alicante grapes. Perfectly fine with red meats and cheese, but not as good as the:

2008 Vin de Maroc Medallion Rouge, a Vin Vieux Grande Reserve. Marked as a Cabernet, so either Sauvignon or Franc. Bottled by Thalvin au domaine des Ouled Thalbet Bensilmane, this was quite something. A smooth and well structured wine with soft tannins but not a particularly long finish.

All the wines were 13% ABV and worked out at about £12 a bottle with the exception of the last which was about £20 a bottle - still not too bad for hotel and restaurant prices. (The same could not be said for whisky - I paid £6.40 for a good measure, more than a single but not a double!)

The (lager) beers available are also pretty good - I drank 'Casablanca'. Like most African lagers it's 5% strength.

Anyway I'm now home so have just enjoyed a half bottle of 2009 Château Rollin, a Haute-Medoc. Situated next to the Pauillac region this wine is a blend of 50% Merlot, 48% Cabernet Sauvignon and 2% Petit Verdot.
    Barry

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by s70rmp View Post
    really I've had no issues with it Symantec isnt picking it as a problem and the works network which it as secure as you can be has no issues with it.

it the trip that Oz Clarke & James May did on the train from Batley to Stalybridge stopping off at the stations with pubs on them.

Dewsbury was my Fav
    did the Rail ale trail last year - excellent fun. We started in Dewsbury, great pub. Problem we had was Leeds were playing at home the Sheff Utd so early on the pubs were packed with football fans. My friend leaves near rotherham as well so the train we got in to Leeds was the Shefflied to Leeds train - lots of fun.

We did a coupleof pubs not on the list as a friend had done it the previous month and a couple of them were excellent. these were not the ones closest to the stations. Can't remember the names though - may have had quite a few beers that day

2008 Chateau Pierrousselle, Bordeaux

Situated in the Entre-Deux-Mers region south-east of Bordeaux. A mixture of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot grape.

http://www.ginestet.fr/medias/4df712...deaux-2008.pdf

Available from your local Co-op at £6.50.

Must be served at 18 degC and allowed to breath for at least half an hour, otherwise the wine has a 'dumb' nose and the flavours are suppressed.

An excellent mid week slurp.
    Barry

Exclamation Suitable wine to go with sushi?

Tesco have on half price offer (£4.99):

2010 Ogio Pinot Grigio.

My favourite Pinot Grigio, my second favourite is Dino, also available from Tesco.

Have just enjoyed a couple of glasses of the Ogio, nicely chilled, with some sushi on a bed of mixed salad leaves and chopped watercress.

Which brings me to a question I would like to ask learned readers of this thread: what is the best wine to go with sushi? Please don't all reply "saki" - I'm not over fond of saki and can't be bothered with all the palarvar to serve it at blood temperature.

Any and all recommendations will be most greatfully received.

Regards
    Barry

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Hi Barry,

In my personal experience, on the handful of times I've enjoyed sushi properly, I think it is a good idea to dust the credit card off and go for a bottle of Champers. I'm not a big Champagne fan usually, but definitely enjoyed it with Sushi. Of course, I may just be a Heathen!

(There is a caveat to this - I've only ever eaten sushi in a decent Japanese restaurant with very good friends, so I suspect the mood may have had as much to do with it as the choice of "plonk!" )
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Barry,

Who's the lucky lady you're wining and dining?

As Sushi has quite a delicate, yet sophisticated flavour, I'd go for a wine with similar characteristics, such as a good quality French Sauvignon Blanc, from the Bordeaux area.

There are some good suggestions on this site, some of which I have tasted:

http://www.wine-pages.com/organise/b...-sauvignon.htm

Enjoy!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Barry,

Who's the lucky lady you're wining and dining?

As Sushi has quite a delicate, yet sophisticated flavour, I'd go for a wine with similar characteristics, such as a good quality French Sauvignon Blanc, from the Bordeaux area.

There are some good suggestions on this site, some of which I have tasted:

http://www.wine-pages.com/organise/b...-sauvignon.htm

Enjoy!

Marco.
    Thanks Guys for your suggestions.

Alex - I'm not particularly fond of Champagne either, or of any carbonated beverage; though in the case of Champagne I do believe "you get what you pay for", that is good Champagne is not cheap.

Marco - my consumption of Pinot Grigiot with sushi was a seul. However, a week ago, I was entertaining a Japanese lady-friend of mine at a top class Japanese restaurant in London. We drank Japanese beer with our meal.

Regards
    Barry

I'm Nobody.

Supped a gallon of 'Sneck Lifter' tonight, nice dark bitter (5.1%). yum yum yummy yum yum

+ Reply to Thread