+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 454 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wine & Whisky Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Default The Wine & Whisky Thread

I've been meaning to start a thread on this for a while but kept forgetting to do it, so here it is! It will be updated regularly (by me at least!) and made into a sticky to form an effective reference point for anyone looking for a decent bottle of plonk or some quality real ale

I'm sure there are many of us here who enjoy real ale or a glass or three of vino, so let's hear your recommendations. I've deliberately mentioned real ale and not simply beer because this is a thread for connoisseurs, not for lager louts or Lambrini drinkers!

So which wines or ales have you enjoyed recently that were superb and offered excellent value for money?

Please include the name of the beer or wine, its price, and a brief description of how it tastes, or even food you've enjoyed with it and consider as a good accompaniment.

Which wines would you recommend for a special occasion?

Where do you normally buy your wine or real ale?

I'll start the ball rolling with a recommendation for a superb St-Émilion Grand Cru which Aldi are selling at the moment for £7.99 a bottle. Yes that's right - it's a total bargain and a wine of this quality would normally cost in the region of £18 per bottle in somewhere like Oddbins.

The relevant details are...

Name: Chateau Grand-Pey-Lescours.

Type: St-Émilion Grand Cru (Appellation Saint-Émilion Grand Cru Controlée).

Grapes: 70% Merlot, 25% Cabernet Sauvignon, 5% Cabernet Franc.

Alcohol content: 13% vol.

Price: £7.99

Importers description:

From a family-owned estate since 1924, located in the foothills of Saint-Émilion known for creating wines with mellow, silky, tannins, red berry flavours and spicy notes. 75% has been barrel-aged for 20 months to make it a perfect match for grilled meat, duck or lamb.

My comments:

We enjoyed this wine recently and it has all the hallmarks of good claret at a very affordable price. Buy now before stocks run out!

Also from Aldi I bought six bottles of Schöfferhofer Hefeweizen (yeast and wheat beer), 5% vol, and it's superb! Anyone who likes quality Weissbier (e.g. Stevie boy) will love it. I forget how much it was but it certainly wasn't expensive.

Right, who's next with a wine or beer recommendation?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Real Ale always reminds me of the water left after doing the washing up.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

You heathen!

And there was me thinking you had class

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

I do, that's why I don't drink working man's gunk.

I'm not really good with wines to be honest, although I always enjoy wine regardless of price. I'm quite a fan of Rosé in particular, always seems very drinkable and enjoyable, my favourite is Gallo White Grenache.

Not really a wine pro as you can tell.

Atacama SE24 stands

I do, that's why I don't drink working man's gunk.
    Is that a subtle euphemism?

I enjoy a chilled rosé in the summer, and there are some decent ones available these days.

Basically, avoid the low-grade 'blush' crap at around 8% vol, which is like diluted Ribena, and go for something with a decent alcohol content (say 11 or 12% vol) over £5 per bottle, particularly New World varieties, and you should have a pretty decent rosé. Don't over-chill it, though, or you will kill the flavour. That's the mistake most people make with white and rosé wines. I've even seen some people put ice in their wine!!

If you like white Grenache, oops that a bit 'blushy' , you should try some Viognier or Orvieto. Both are gently fruity like white Grenache, but slightly drier and obviously are full-blown whites.

I'm much more of a red man myself, especially the 'big' full-bodied variety!

But then I'm really into nice food, which red wine goes exceptionally well with, and you're not

Marco.
    Main System

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Is that a subtle euphemism?

I enjoy a chilled Rosé in the summer, and there are some decent ones available these days....
    I must try some more out, thing is I have to be careful with some reds / rosé as it can bring on REALLY bad heartburn, usually lasting for a week and rearing its ugly head at 2am every night.

I must admit to being rather particular to Port, but oddly I only like Port once it's very chilled.

Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Nick.

Real Ale always reminds me of the water left after doing the washing up.
    I guess you have never looked at a properly kept and presented pint of real ale then?

Nick,

Wait until Steve comes along, he's the member of admin with a refined and knowledgeable palette for real ale

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Tony.

Hi All,

20th Chester Charity Beer Festival at the Vicar's Cross Rugby Club!

15th to 17th May. I'll be going on the Sat! You've just reminded me to get to the Mill Hotel and get my tickets!

Fave beers? Struggling Monkey, Dent Aviator. Titanic Iceberg. Enville White. Most of the stuff that the Harker's in Chester have on!

Cheers,
    Tony

I'm InSpace.

Here's a good excuse to try many a real ale and stuff yer face with lots of nice food:

http://www.whitbyfolk.co.uk/

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.