+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 512 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wine & Whisky Thread

Location: Swaledale, North Yorkshire + The Valley of Longevity

I'm Toooldnowtogrowup.

Default Red wine case .. recommendations please..

It's time to get to know this thread a little I think .. :-) I used to drink a lot of red wine .. but with moving away I kind of lost touch with the market. My fave red was always a Château Margaux but it's out of my league now. Since then I found Australian and Chilean reds would do the trick for me and occasionally a full bodied Barolo ... But .. I am out of touch with what is out there now ,,,
    Can anyone point me in the direction of a case of full bodied red with a touch of fruit and spice .. that will hold up well with spicy foods, strong cheeses and a rare steak .. ... and any other ideas in fact .. ! I like a nice drop of chilled fruity white .. and the occasional Sauternes .. or other dessert wines .. .. Anything good really that you have found lately ..
    Brian
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Smile, breathe and go slowly ..........................

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

What about a nice Rioja, Brian? Pretty much my favourite, and if you have a Majestic nearby they have a Spanish promotion on, 20% off.

This one is very nice: http://www.majestic.co.uk/find/categ...oduct-is-14199
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Toooldnowtogrowup.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    What about a nice Rioja, Brian? Pretty much my favourite, and if you have a Majestic nearby they have a Spanish promotion on, 20% off.

This one is very nice: http://www.majestic.co.uk/find/categ...oduct-is-14199

Thanks Alex ... never been much into Spanish wine .. I like the fuller bodied wines ... but I am willing to be educated .. I will check it out and try a couple when I get back next week .. ..
    Brian
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm Chris.

My drinking is mostly liquid memories now. Intoxication and crutches don't mix and I have enough trouble staying upright when cold stone sober as it is. Years ago I worked in offices based in the Wandsworth Gas Holder Station which overlooked the Young's brewery. We had a bird's eye view of the brewery which had a farmyard atmosphere with the shire horses used for the drays, ducks, geese and of course the brewery ram. The beer wasn't bad either.

In one house I shared was Welshman Keith, rugby and CAMRA fanatic and member of the London Male Welsh Choir. The best drunk driver I've ever known, mind you as the rest of us in the car when Keith was at the wheel were always at least half-cut I guess he would have seemed like Stirling Moss to us. Any and everywhere that served a decent pint in Herts and Bucks was a target. Then there was the mouth watering cold beef salad in the pub at Crickhowel Powys … and when on home soil and he'd oiled his vocal chord's with a few pints, Keith would sing ... all bloody night.

These days its just a few glasses of the red stuff. First Cape Limited Reserve Merlot is the regular on our table for over a year now. Very fruity, very mellow, far too easy to drink. Bought by the case it can be had for under a fiver a bottle.
    Chris

Stuff

1. Linux PC with onboard HDA SB/ALC892 24/192 optical S/PDIF and/or USB > TC-7520 (Gator + LM4562NA) > Quad 306 > AVI Neutron 3
    2. Rotel RCD 965BX > TC-7520 ( Gator + LM4562NA) > Hd595
    3. Rpi B+/HifiDigi B+ (with isolation transformer) Running "SqueezeOnArch" - https://github.com/SqueezeOnArch
    Nonsense
    1. Belkin Pure AV (white) phono, Belkin Pure AV (silver) USB, QEd 79-strand speaker cable.
    2. MG belden digital co-ax

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

I haven't read the whole thread and am sure that this will have been recommended previously. Amarone is the greatest red wine on the planet in my humble opinion. It was ca 13.5-14% long before the antipodeans began to up the alcohol content and has immense depth and warmth taking it more towards port than wine. Barolo is a good second in my chart.

Thinking about this has made me feel so good that I'm going to sit back and start the thread from page 1...

Pete

I'm Toooldnowtogrowup.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete The Cat View Post
    I haven't read the whole thread and am sure that this will have been recommended previously. Amarone is the greatest red wine on the planet in my humble opinion. It was ca 13.5-14% long before the antipodeans began to up the alcohol content and has immense depth and warmth taking it more towards port than wine. Barolo is a good second in my chart.

Thinking about this has made me feel so good that I'm going to sit back and start the thread from page 1...

Pete
    Yes indeed ... thanks Pete ... I remember that one now .. it must be 10 years since I last had a bottle ... one of the very few reds that do not leave you wanting another glass after you have finished the bottle .....
    Brian

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyleyes View Post
    one of the very few reds that do not leave you wanting another glass after you have finished the bottle .....
    Sorry Brian, I've never found such a wine!

Very nearly picked up an Amarone in Majestic but will wait until next week when my best mate is coming to stay as I know he is a fan.

Instead, just opened another Rioja:

Rioja Reserva 2006 Marqués de Riscal

http://www.majestic.co.uk/find/categ...oduct-is-14210

"A classic Rioja with complex aromas of vanilla and toasted oak combined with summer fruit flavours. 90% Tempranillo was sourced from vines aged between 15 and 30 years, and oak-aged for 24 months."

Very, very nice - one of the nicest Riojas I've had in a long time. Normally £14.99, on special at £13.74 but £10.99 when you buy at least 2 as part of a mixed case.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Toooldnowtogrowup.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Sorry Brian, I've never found such a wine!

HaHa .. ,,,,,,, yes indeed ... It is a VERY seldom occurrence .. and only cos I usually go on to Whisky or something .... ....

That Rioja does look nice .. but my nearest Majestic is over in Beverley ... 30 odd miles away ... still if the weather is nice next week it might be a nice 1st run out of the year for the old TR ... and I'll bet they have an Amarone too ..

A quick question though .. Do you find Majestic better than the other retailers .. or are they just convenient for you ?
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyleyes View Post
    HaHa .. ,,,,,,, yes indeed ... It is a VERY seldom occurrence .. and only cos I usually go on to Whisky or something .... ....

That Rioja does look nice .. but my nearest Majestic is over in Beverley ... 30 odd miles away ... still if the weather is nice next week it might be a nice 1st run out of the year for the old TR ... and I'll bet they have an Amarone too ..

A quick question though .. Do you find Majestic better than the other retailers .. or are they just convenient for you ?
    Only really just started using Majestic the last couple of months as a new store has opened up 5 minutes away - been pleased with it so far, but usually get my wine from Tesco or Sainsbury - we don't really have a decent independent wine seller that I have found, otherwise I would use them. I used to order from Laithwaites but they constantly hassle me with telesales offers which gets on my nerves to be honest!
    Alex

I'm Nobody.

Off out later our boozers got sme new Beers in so i just been told

Anyway don't worry about later this is my last post on AOS, totally nothing in comon with yours truly around here, nothing!

Bye chaps.

+ Reply to Thread