+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 510 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wine & Whisky Thread

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Finally my recent trip to Conway, North Wales, allowed me to stock up on the Conwy Brewery 'Honey Fayre'.
    Hey, Barry, you should've given me a shout and we could have hooked up. Conwy is only about 50 mins away from me

Some good wine recs there, so will probably try a few

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hey, Barry, you should've given me a shout and we could have hooked up. Conwy is only about 50 mins away from me

Some good wine recs there, so will probably try a few

Marco.
    Hi Marco,

I did give it a thought, but didn't feel I knew you well enough to burden myself upon you. Anyway my 'little black cocktail dress' was at the cleaners and my high heels at the cobblers!

I am up North Wales way four to five times a year, so maybe next time.

Regards
    Barry

Hi Barry,

Our door is open anytime to (reasonably) sane hi-fi and music nutters - even those without the necessary accoutrements to flounce around in frilly fashion ensembles, hahahahaha............

Next time you're due to visit the area, dude, PM me

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Hi Barry,

Our door is open anytime to (reasonably) sane hi-fi and music nutters - even those without the necessary accoutrements to flounce around in frilly fashion ensembles, hahahahaha............

Next time you're due to visit the area, dude, PM me

Marco.
    Thanks for the open invitation Marco. Will send you a PM you next time I'm travelling up that way.

Regards
    Barry

Please do, Barry. Feel free to bring a bottle of Le Piat D'or

Marco.
    Main System

Please do, Barry. Feel free to bring a bottle of Le Piat D'or

Marco.
    Think I might be able to do a little better than that! I have in mind some local plonk I drank in Albania in 1992. Totally indescribable!
    Barry

Thumbs up Tesco French red 'Old World' bargains

Sounds interesting, Barry - a bit like Chateau Musar, perhaps?

Incidentally, Tesco have got some rather cheeky vino at the moment on sale at half-price (and some less than that!):

Caves Saint-Pierre Vacqueyras 2007, which we've just polished off with the Sunday roast (today it was roast haunch of venison with a Burgundy wine jus with carmelised challots, baked fennel in a (light) cream sauce with nutmeg, steamed asparagus and Anya potatoes), reduced from £14.99 to an amazing £5.99 a bottle. It is quite superb. All I can say is buy it now whilst stocks last!!!

We also picked up a rather nice Chateau Lussac St-Émilion, reduced from £13.99 to £6.99, a fabulous St Joseph 2006 (which we've already enjoyed recently) reduced from £13.49 to £6.49, and lastly a perfectly 'gluggable' 2007 Prestige & Calvet Bordeaux, reduced from £11.99 to £5.99.

Run along and nab 'em while they're available, folks, because these are serious bargains!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm David.

its the camra beer festival in worcester this weekend.... i can recomend it whole heartedly
    although the main preoblem is you have to buy tokens and then pay with them... its to confusing when the beer starts taking its inevitable effects
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Default Tesco wines, FAO Marco

Hi Marco,

Popped into my local Tesco to see if I could pick up some of the offers you mentioned. Well it would seem that you may be getting a better deal at your branch.

The 2007 Caves Sainte-Pierre Vacqueyras is not reduced and still costs £14.99. I bought the 2005 for £6.50.

I bought a 2006 Reserve Saint-Clair Puisseguin Saint-Emillion for £6.99. Is this what you meant by the Lussac? Tesco seem to think so (that's how it's itemised on the bill), but whilst close, I'm not sure if they are the same region. Maybe I'm being being pedantic.

The 2006 St Joseph is not available, and the 2005 costs £12.99.

No sign of the Prestige & Calvert Bordeaux at any price.

However I did pick up a 2008 Caves Saint-Pierre Cotes-du-Rhone red for £5.99 and the 2007 white for £5.95.

Still going to be on the lookout for that 2007 Vacqueyras at £5.99!

Cheers
    Barry

Default Tesco plonk and other Summer wines

Marco,

I still can't get that 2007 Vacqueyras at my Tesco, they're useless!

Whilst I don't normally drink dessert whites, we do occasionally serve wine with each course if holding dinner parties. Recently we did so, and served a nice little Bordeaux:

'Le Criox 'St. Vincent'. More a demi sec than a dessert wine, but fine with summer berries: strawberries, raspberries, blackberries or in this case Picota cherries.

Have also enjoyed (following your recommendation) a chilled 2008:

'Prospetti Rose', Pinot Grigiot and Sauvignon.

Tonight, it has been a Cotes de Luberon, 'La Tour de Marrenon', 2008. Grenache Blanc and Vermintino. "Fresh and citrussy but has the richness of ripe grapes with the hint of nectarines". Hmm - just about, but at £4.49 from Tesco, not a bad slurp.

Regards
    Last edited by Barry; 29-08-2009 at 22:46. Reason: punctuation
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread