+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast

Thread: Off on my travels

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    brilliant , you have to watch them otherwise you might end up in Timbuktu !!
    I've visited Timbuktu, didn't know what to expect but was pleasantly surprised.

There's a lovely mosque there, built from mud bricks. You can go inside, unlike the more famous one at Djenne.

But sadly Mali is off-limits at the moment; it's just too dangerous. A shame, because the Festival of the Desert used to be held in Timbuktu.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post

There's a lovely mosque there, built from mud bricks. You can go inside, unlike the more famous one at Djenne.

But sadly Mali is off-limits at the moment; it's just too dangerous. A shame, because the Festival of the Desert used to be held in Timbuktu.
    Why, what did you say to them when having tea with them? You didn't insist on PG Tips did you, I can see how that might upset them
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm sorted.

I'm Phil.

yes not a safe place to go sadly !! tunisia seems off limits too now
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I've visited 75 countries, and sad to say, a good many of them are now off-limits: in some cases just after a visit from me!

I wonder if there is a connection? My colleagues used to suspect I was employed by the government as some sort of agent provocateur!
    Barry

I'm Martin.

I've visited 75 countries
    That's a lot. I counted up and I've only been to 13. And one of those I never left the airport.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

I've only visited eleven. And I'm including Wales and Scotland.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I've only visited eleven. And I'm including Wales and Scotland.
    Me too.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

I've worked in close to 30, and visited a lot more. One almost disappeared!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by SLS View Post
    All terribly amusing! The nearest tribe were Himba, who are nomadic and if they’d come across this car park, they’d probably have made use of the barriers for firewood. Given the lack of wood, some of the barrier was whale bones.

As it happens, we took our chances and escaped the clutches of the local parking attendant. I suspect they may have been trying to fill the vacancy at the time. The only person we saw on the road for about 500 miles was a chap walking from nowhere to nowhere. We stopped and offered him a lift. It turned out he was the ticket attendant, general manager and general dogsbody and quite possibly sole permanent employee of a sea lion sanctuary. I’m sure Roy has been to see the seals at Blakeney in Norfolk, as have I. I’ve even been to the Icelandic Seal reserve in Northern Iceland, in winter. I remember it was 20 March because it was my son‘s birthday. He was in Paris at the time. Rather than just wish him happy birthday birthday by text, I rounded up the only people I could find, who happened to be four Chinese diplomats from New York, got them to sing him happy birthday and posted it on YouTube. He liked that.

Anyway, having given the ticket attendant a lift, I then gave him some money, and we went to say hello to about 150,000 sealions. The smell was something else. If they had that many sealions at Blakeney, no one would go to Norfolk.
    I'm guessing it was Cape Cross.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast