+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ultrasonic Record cleaners

I'm Ben.

Default Ultrasonic Record cleaners

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of using an ultrasonic record cleaner on their vinyl?

I have a collection of almost 1000 albums on vinyl now and I currently use a Disco-antistat wet cleaner from time to time when I feel the need to give something a freshen up.

However recently I noticed that a DIY ultrasonic cleaner is available at a reasonable price point, I noticed it after a few people posted some favourable reviews of it on a facebook vinyl & turntable enthusiasts page.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CleanerVin...kAAOSw241YVZ-w

This link isn't the actual item I have bought but it is very similar (mine comes complete as a kit with the ultrasonic tank and spindle motor and can do 5 or 6 disks at a time I think) and all for less than £200 delivered which seems like a bit of a bargain to me. Fingers crossed it works as well as I hope. il update in a few weeks when Ive had chace to fully get to grips with it (economy delivery from Poland to Uk advises up to 2 weeks delivery time).
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Mel.

I will start by saying I have no experience of cleaning vinyl with an ultrasonic cleaner so please note my following comments may have no relationship to what you want to do with records.

I do however have experience of using these cleaners in an engineering environment and would make the following observation. Although the cleaning machine itself does not have any abrasive mechanism the process it facilitates can indeed cause abrasion of the surface material. When we have cleaned engine carburettors it quickly become obvious that the alloy metal surface losses its smooth polished finish and becomes prone to corrosion. Close examination of the surface shows the finish has become 'rougher' than it was and on repeat applications the situation quickly becomes worse. I now never use such cleaners on metal and prefer to use a soaking process.

With these cleaners it is also important to use the correct cleaner designed for the product being cleaned - just using water is of no use. Forget ebay and look at commercial suppliers of the machines and the various cleaning additives they also offer.

On doing some research on ultrasonic cleaning it appears this abrasion is well know - see the next para for a bit more detail.

"Some components, such as those manufactured of highly-polished aluminum, can quickly be damaged by ultrasonic cleaning action due to cavitational erosion of the parts, a condition where the ultrasonic scrubbing action actually erodes the surfaces of the parts. When these parts are cleaned in a standard ultrasonic cleaner, the surface of the parts appears mottled, and covered with a pattern of small comet-like spots. These "comets" are created when the ultrasonic activity essentially drills holes in the surface of the objects being cleaned. The head of the comet is the location of most intense ultrasonic activity, while the tail of the comet represents the direction that the fluid was blasted away during the cleaning action. The distance between neighboring "comets" and the degree of damage produced will be dependent upon the ultrasonic frequency in use."

Vinyl is not metal so the above may have no relevance but it is worth considering.

Mel

I'm Mike.

I looked at these ages ago you can buy them on Amazon or eBay without the motor but I didn't have the skill to build the motor so gave up on the idea.

IF he sold the motor only I might be tempted to have another look.

One setup like this that I saw had an adapter to clean 4 or 5 at a time 😉

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    I looked at these ages ago you can buy them on Amazon or eBay without the motor but I didn't have the skill to build the motor so gave up on the idea.

IF he sold the motor only I might be tempted to have another look
    You can get such a kit on ebay I think......
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
    You can get such a kit on ebay I think......
    Thanks, I stopped looking once I'd bought an okki nokki but they still look useful and doing more than one at a time would be a huge bonus, I had forgotten about them until your post came up.

Might look again 😀

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post

IF he sold the motor only I might be tempted to have another look.

One setup like this that I saw had an adapter to clean 4 or 5 at a time 😉
    Actually that eBay listing IS for the motor only, you'd need to add the ultrasonic bath separately.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience of using an ultrasonic record cleaner on their vinyl?

I have a collection of almost 1000 albums on vinyl now and I currently use a Disco-antistat wet cleaner from time to time when I feel the need to give something a freshen up.

However recently I noticed that a DIY ultrasonic cleaner is available at a reasonable price point, I noticed it after a few people posted some favourable reviews of it on a facebook vinyl & turntable enthusiasts page.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CleanerVin...kAAOSw241YVZ-w

This link isn't the actual item I have bought but it is very similar (mine comes complete as a kit with the ultrasonic tank and spindle motor and can do 5 or 6 disks at a time I think) and all for less than £200 delivered which seems like a bit of a bargain to me. Fingers crossed it works as well as I hope. il update in a few weeks when Ive had chace to fully get to grips with it (economy delivery from Poland to Uk advises up to 2 weeks delivery time).
    Have you a link to the actual one you've bought please?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Have you a link to the actual one you've bought please?
    Yeah that would be cool I'd like ike to know too 😊

I'm Shane.

What happens when you take the disk out of the bath, covered in fluid with all the dirt suspended in it, ready to stick back onto the disc as the fluid evaporates?
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    What happens when you take the disk out of the bath, covered in fluid with all the dirt suspended in it, ready to stick back onto the disc as the fluid evaporates?
    You quickly wash anything that comes out of a U/S cleaner immediatley to remove the cleaning fluid and any debris. Generally the cleaning fluid does not last too long before needing to be changed if you follow the instructions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast