+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Celestion ditton 15 - restoration project

I'm Felipe.

And your thoughts on the 15's vs the XR model? I only had the later and enjoyed them very much, kinda regretfully sold them as they were 100% mint, very rare in this neck of the woods...

I'm Andrew.

Well the 15's are a little muffled but they do respond really well to being recapped. I found that they produced a nice wide soundstage with some depth. They sound especially good with rock and arn't that bad with Jazz either. They are not my favourite pair of 70's speakers, this falls to my JR149's. The bass is a little limited but overall the speakers are very enjoyable.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

I'm going to restart this thread again and hopefully do some more mods to the speakers. The whole project is just to how each mod affects the sound of the speaker. The 15's are great because they are so simple. It should be quite easy to see how changing one variable affects the sound. I've only added a small amount of additional of internal damping to the base of the speaker. I've already learned that trying to dampen these speakers too much has a very poor affect in that the output just sounds lazy and muffled. I've been reading with some interest the designs of Jeff Day's reference level Tannoy XO's and I'm hoping that lessons learned from this project will hopefully enable another step up in my already stellar performing external RFC Reference XO's on my 15" MG's. I'm already looking at several new replacement caps for the XO's and shall be trying the following

audyn-true-copper-max-350.jpgjupiter_flatstack_100v_350.jpgmiflex-kpcu-01-350.jpgmundorf-supreme-evo-sgo-350.jpgrike-audio-scap2-350.jpg

These have been shortlisted (and it's not complete) and over time will be compared to see what they offer. Should be fun!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Dan.

Hi Andy

Superb thread just wondering what size are the binding posts as want to put some in my 15's?

Cheers
    Dan
    Pre & Power
    Technics SUC 909U & Technics SE A909S
    Turntable
    Thorens TD 125 MK1 , SME 3009 S2 Non Improved , Shure V15 II , SME 2000 Plinth
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman91 View Post
    Hi Andy

Superb thread just wondering what size are the binding posts as want to put some in my 15's?

Cheers
    Dan
    you can get them from hifi collective and I've managed to stuff 6mm van damme blue speaker in them. Solid copper and gold plated in construction and quite cheap.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12