+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SSD vs. HDD for Music Storage ?

I'm Adrian.

Thanks, Neil, for your response. If you can, please tell more about your "Custom Silent Media Server" - it sounds intriguing!

Just for fun while here in the office on an overcast Saturday in Hong Kong, I decided to open up the other Magnum Audio A.100 Mono-Block to see if the insides differ from the first one I posted above. It appears they do slightly, though I'll defer to the Forum's experts.

Here are the pix:

Last edited by Adrian Ho; 25-03-2017 at 03:40. Reason: duplicate file
    Amplifier: Now: NAD C 315BEE; Previously: Magnum Audio A.100 Mono-block Amplifiers (2 @ 400W/8R); P.100 Pre-Amplifier; PS.100 Power Supply
    Speakers: Now: Epos Elan 15s; Previously: Celestion SL700s

CD: Linn Mimik
    DAC Streamer: Cambridge Audio CXN

I'm Colin.

My god, well it was my design but it looks like somebody dropped a hand grenade into the box.
    I would love to tidy it up, and put it back to it's original design, but I would a 10 day holiday after from shock.

I'm Grant.

Seen a lot worse
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wonfor View Post
    My god, well it was my design but it looks like somebody dropped a hand grenade into the box.
    I would love to tidy it up, and put it back to it's original design, but I would a 10 day holiday after from shock.

Sorry to cause you such a shock, Colin! Despite the jumble-of-wire appearances, both mono-blocks are working fine so my preference is to keep them especially since I've now ascertained their authenticity of design from the one person who should know!

You do not sound as enamoured of the P.100 pre-amplifier, though. If I look for a new pre-amp to replace the P.100, is there anything I should bear in mind to make sure it's a good match for the A.100s?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Adrian
    Amplifier: Now: NAD C 315BEE; Previously: Magnum Audio A.100 Mono-block Amplifiers (2 @ 400W/8R); P.100 Pre-Amplifier; PS.100 Power Supply
    Speakers: Now: Epos Elan 15s; Previously: Celestion SL700s

CD: Linn Mimik
    DAC Streamer: Cambridge Audio CXN

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Ho View Post
    Thanks, Neil, for your response. If you can, please tell more about your "Custom Silent Media Server" - it sounds intriguing!

Just for fun while here in the office on an overcast Saturday in Hong Kong, I decided to open up the other Magnum Audio A.100 Mono-Block to see if the insides differ from the first one I posted above. It appears they do slightly, though I'll defer to the Forum's experts.

Here are the pix:

It is a fanless Celeron motherboard, Gigabyte J1800N. It is super low power consumption, but it has a Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W PSU, which is deliberately overkill so I can keep the PSU fan off and not worry about any stress at all i.e. it provides the lowest noise possible at the price with no switching spikes and voltage sags. The processor has a heatsink, I use an SSD, and there are no case fans i.e. no moving parts aside from the CD drive (rarely used, just for ripping), which has a SoTM SATA filter on it just in case it spits noise back into the computer when I do play CDs. I use 8GB RAM, but really, 4GB is more than enough for a pure audio server. The motherboard uses laptop RAM. This setup was chosen to eliminate problems with power supply and general computer noise, but at the same time, my USB front end has its own power supply anyway. Aside from the SSD it should last practically forever.

I got the inspiration to build it from here: http://www.audiochews.com/discussion...cipes-phase-iv
    Last edited by Yomanze; 27-03-2017 at 19:51.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234