+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast

Thread: Music Coming Soon to a TV Near You

I'm Andre.

I worked in a record shop in the early 80's So i saw everything in the pop charts at the time. I cant think of anything much as good as DM.. I remember bands emerging like Frankie Goes to Hollywood & The Petshop boys which were ok but DM was always the attraction with me.. Sold tons of their records too.

So if anyone from Rotherham knew Rocket Records on Doncaster gate i was was the miserable git with the long hair lol be about late 1983, early '84 when i started there

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Cool... I hadn't long left school (after doing a 6th year) in 1983

I was big into DM, but my musical tastes back then (and in general) were quite different from yours, as I loved pretty much ALL electronic music/synth pop from the late 70s and early/mid 80s, stuff such as Visage and Yazoo, Howard Jones, OMD, Martha and the Muffins, Thomas Dolby, Ultravox, New Order, Jona Lewie, Japan, Tubeway Army/Gary Numan, Human League, Eurythmics, etc, were never off my T/T, tape deck, or after that, CDP.

This track, for me, from Thomas Dolby, typifies the 80's 'synth pop' sound, and also 80s pop videos in general, which are still quite cool now:

And for me, the genre/sound doesn't get much better than this (from 1979):

Just a stunning keyboard-driven sound/melodies, and for me evokes many happy memories of school days and all the fun parties I attended!

Plus this classic from 1981, which I much preferred to their 'punk-lite' stuff:

Even though at the time I had no idea that the 'Golden Brown' in question was Heroin!

And even before that, I loved the likes of Sparks and Giorgio Moroder (I was big into disco in the 70s, too)!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Not forgetting this track, by The Cure, which I just LOVED, from 1980 (complete with vinyl crackles):

Eerie, evocative and just a little menacing - one to listen to with the lights out.....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

my original copy of The Cure - A Forest is just about worn out... What a track! However, I had no idea on the meaning of "Golden Brown" though I love that track also!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

I was big into DM, but my musical tastes back then (and in general) were quite different from yours, as I loved pretty much ALL electronic music/synth pop from the late 70s and early/mid 80s, stuff such as Visage and Yazoo, Howard Jones, OMD, Martha and the Muffins, Thomas Dolby, Ultravox, New Order, Jona Lewie, Japan, Tubeway Army/Gary Numan, Human League, Eurythmics, etc, were never off my T/T, tape deck, or after that, CDP.

This track, for me, from Thomas Dolby, epitomises the 80's 'synth pop' sound, and also 80s pop videos in general, which are still quite cool now:

And for me, the genre/sound doesn't get much better than this (from 1979):

Just a stunning keyboard-driven sound/melodies, and for me evokes many happy memories of school days and all the fun parties I attended!

Plus this classic from 1981, which I much preferred to their 'punk-lite' stuff:

Even though at the time I had no idea that the 'Golden Brown' in question was Heroin!

And even before that, I loved the likes of Sparks and Giorgio Moroder (I was big into disco in the 70s, too)!

Marco.
    Same tastes as me at the time although my favourite band were Ultravox. I didn't hear this song until a few years later as it wasn't so popular, but it's an absolutely classic mix of disco and synth in my opinion.

https://youtu.be/b9xBAtCsCTQ

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    my original copy of The Cure - A Forest is just about worn out... What a track! However, I had no idea on the meaning of "Golden Brown" though I love that track also!
    My favourite Stranglers' track (probably not a popular choice) has to be their cover of "Walk on By". It came on a white vinyl 7", free with the first so many copies of "Black & White". The 'middle bit' with Dave Greenfield and JJ going for it was a thing of wonder and I'm still not bored of it
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Andre.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

No Marco, Not different at all, I like the early 80's Synth pop stuff like Soft Cell etc. Also like early 'U2' & 'Simple minds', the wife is a big Human League & Tears for fears fan.. I like the Human League but prefer the early stuff 'Reproduction' & 'Travelogue' albums before Joanne & Suzy joined the band although i dont mind them i just prefer the very early synth pop bands, it that snappy snare drum machine sound i like that seemed to be lost as year or so down the line

You can clearly hear the snare im referring to on the below track. This is superb

I'm Andre.

One of Dave Ball early synths was the superb Korg '800DV' which was a duophonic synth, basically two Korg mini '700's' in one. He alser had a 'Korg 'SB-100' Synthe Bass, Bass synth.

Couple of good music programmes on BBC4 tonight, chaps:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08tb97f

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0141mz1

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

BBC? Never heard of it
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast