+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Cartridge recommendations

I'm Paul.

Default Looking for Cartridge recommendations

Hi all

Looking to replace my aging Ortofon ME15 Super 1 Moving Iron cartridge

I was thinking of getting one of the Audio Technica AT-440MLB cartridges which I can get new for around £140

Anyone got any advice on how those two compare or any recomendations for any other cartridges that would improve on the ME15 for similar money to the 440

It's to be used in my Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with stock TP-16 arm and TP-60 headshell.

Thanks for any input

Paul
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

blackstar Guest

Hi Paul

PMed you.

I'm Paul.

Been looking on the bayOfEvil and found the following all around the price of the AT-440

How do they compare, my amp has built in MM/MC phono stage so that shouldn't be an issue

Ortofon 2M Blue Moving Magnet

Goldring 1006 Moving Magnet

Goldring 2100 Moving Magnet

Goldring 2200 Moving Magnet

Denon DL-110 EM High Output Moving Coil

Audio-Technica AT-F2 Moving Coil Cartridge

Denon DL-103 DL103 phono cartridge moving coil
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm Ralph.

I've just sold my nearly new AT440Mlb. It was a nice enough cartridge but it just didn't do it for me. Never had a 2M Blue but I have a Red which I find very entertaining. I've had a few DL103s but I wouldn't have another. Bear in mind this is a low output MC cartridge. I bought a new DL110 just before Christmas and into a good mm stage it's the best sub 200 quid cartridge I've had the pleasure of listening to. I normally have a Benz Ace in this turntable into a Naim Stageline but since fitting the DL110 and valve phono stage I've not felt the need to change back. I must get hold of a Denon DL301-2 at some point. That's an itch I've wanted to scratch for some time but never seem to get round to it.
    Ralph.

I'm Grant.

The 110 is a good enough cart if youve got plenty gain on the phono stage. The denon 160 is better if you can find one. An AT95 with a shibata stylus is very good in a td160 as well
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Ralph.

The DL160 was discontinued quite a few years ago. I'm pretty sure that any used ones for sale will have some mileage on the clock so a new 110 is really the answer.
    Ralph.

I'm Mike.

I'm selling an Ortofon MC25FL in the classifieds 😉

I'm Paul.

Thanks for the replies

Looking at the DL110 how will I know if my Amps phono stage has enough gain to do it justice

My Amp is a Pioneer A-70, the mid eighties version.

Thanks again

Paul

I'm Chris.

I do not know if it's any help to you, but I have a Rotel RC-995 pre-amplifier from the 90s, it has an in-built phono stage and DL-110 does wonders with that stage. I usually have it on MC setting, but it works very nice into MM.
    TT: none atm; Carts: Benz Micro Ace SL; Phono stage: Nuda dual mono
    Digital: Rotel RCD-965BX, rDAC; Amp: Modwright KWI-200, Speakers: Dynaudio Special 25

I'm Grant.

If you have a mc stage then the mc25 above is agreat cart.Dont know the older pioneer a70 amp
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast