+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Electrostatic Speakers

Default Electrostatic Speakers

I starting searching the internet for details on people's electristatic speakers projects but then I decided I'd probably have more luck just asking here. So anyone ever tried it? They seem to have a lot of advantages even if they're awkward to design/make.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I don't think anyone has ever tried to make some from scratch, as it can be lethal and the transformers wouldn't be widely available (would they?)

Better to get some Quads and either re-build )57's) or properly set up (63's) with them well off the floor and tilted back a little as the treble is made to beam downwards on the domestic versions (I'm not going to suggest the hideously ugly and dangerous Noel Keyward technique of removing both grilles AND protection mesh.....
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I don't think anyone has ever tried to make some from scratch, as it can be lethal and the transformers wouldn't be widely available (would they?)

Better to get some Quads and either re-build )57's) or properly set up (63's) with them well off the floor and tilted back a little as the treble is made to beam downwards on the domestic versions (I'm not going to suggest the hideously ugly and dangerous Noel Keyward technique of removing both grilles AND protection mesh.....
    Steen (SDAcoustics) briefly tried but gave up and moved on to Ribbon drivers which were a lot easier and cheaper to produce.

I'm Imjustsurviving.

I thought mine win the ugly crown
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Naim tried to design an electrostatic and the prototypes sounded very interesting indeed, but they gave in as well...

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by J B View Post
    I starting searching the internet for details on people's electristatic speakers projects but then I decided I'd probably have more luck just asking here. So anyone ever tried it? They seem to have a lot of advantages even if they're awkward to design/make.
    Hi,try looking at ER Audio.They are a company based in Australia that supply kit statics.I have two pairs,the ESL III and the top of the range Acorn.These are superb,and don't let the kit aspect put you off.They are just as good,if not better than Quads,and at a fraction of the price.

I'm ILOB.

I heard the Acorn once pretty impressive
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post

I thought mine win the ugly crown
    I have seen uglier - I'm just not sure where...

Bet they sound good though.

I'm David.

Oh god, it's another little cupboard.......................................... ............................................

I'm inthescottishmafia.

You bugger I was going to say that!!!!

Thanks John for an independent opinion,most folk here automatically dismiss anything kit based.The ER stuff is really rather good!

+ Reply to Thread