+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Firebottle Mono - monoblock power amplifier

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Ah thanks Oliver. Very kind of you. As I think I mentioned elsewhere to you my wife comes from your neck of the woods. Maybe we will visit again sometime, last time was 2 years ago. It is certainly our aim to visit again - lovely countryside there. Combining it with 'proper' hifi makes it even more appealing.
    No worries. Just drop me a message.
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK6 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > SIMaudio Moon LP5.3RS
    Digital: Orchard Audio PecanPi with JRiver
    Preamplifier: Neurochrome Differential Preamp
    Amplification: Neurochrome Modulus 686
    Speakers: Mordaunt Short Performance 880
    Cables: SPOTFIRE Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables & SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable

Price List For SPOTFIRE Cables here:https://bit.ly/2Uxiv3j

Alternative reading: http://www.audioaddictsforum.com

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post

Had trouble finding some pictures, think some got lost with a camera

Hybrid design with super linear valve driver stage and MOSFET output stage. 90W rms into 8 ohms, will drive any speaker including maggies.

1000 per pair.
    Have they gone back up to 90W?

I'm Phil.

been playing with some firebottle kin in recent days

P1060172 by , on Flickr

P1060171 by , on Flickr

used for a number of weeks with velleman valve pre which is a very modest pre but not bad at all . does not have the massive holographic soundstage of the modwright but then it cost about 72 times less . big bouncy muscular sounding , every big as good as the departed supernait 2 but that had better holographics . does not get too hot but those little valves can get knocked and lost one 2 days ago getting it back in the rack . fortunately thanks to a very efficient valve company billinton export valves i was up at running in less than 24 hours . impressive . this pre power was used with the very big sounding impulse ta`us

then for a few days used with the tannoy eaton legacy , again big sound and extremely transparent with FM radio , this transparency gave rise to a very very slight hardness at times but very enjoyable . this was using a bel canto pre 3 ss pre amp
    so the msb [ costing about 14 times as much as the FB ] was smoother and better in holographics . that said we have previously tried the FB with the velleman with the eatons and that was very good so a better match i think than the ss pre

one thing i noticed was that sometimes there was a slight pop when turning off one of the amps when used with eaton [ not the other ]

i noticed in the instructions that it says the input is dirctly coupled so DC on the input should be avoided . i don`t quite know what this means and thinking of trying another pre amp which says

"DC filament power helps to create an amplifier with low noise and exceptional sonic qualities. " this amp is based on a herron pre amp design i think

and wondering if that means the amps are incompatible , perhaps someone technical can enlighten .

now thanks to our very own jerry [ a big thanks ] i am using the FB with a schiit saga valve passive and that is smoother top end than the velleman and for the money is a cracker

eLFjmVv by , on Flickr
    1]bel canto pre 3 vbs /, /rotel cd/ bel canto fm1
    sonos, . tannoy eaton legacy 2]arcam a75 marantz sa8005 jolida modwright dac and RFC impulse ta`us , track audio stands

I'm Phil.

Tried these lovely monoblocks with a number of pre amps now . Always sounds good , best combo was with the saga pre. Now using a sugden a21se as a pre amp and it makes a very good pre amp although I find the remote a bit imprecise. Still using the stock tubes although have some telefunckens to use sometime

261b4cedbd79c498545aefa536dd33fadda06ae4_2_375x500 by , on Flickr

P1060525 by , on Flickr
    Last edited by hifinutt; 15-06-2019 at 22:26.
    sonos, . tannoy eaton legacy 2]arcam a75 marantz sa8005 jolida modwright dac and RFC impulse ta`us , track audio stands

I'm Oliver.

Still a lot of performance for the price. I do remember mine fondly.
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK6 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > SIMaudio Moon LP5.3RS

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Still a lot of performance for the price. I do remember mine fondly.
    They're still good!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    At the cutting edge of Numptyness!

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    They're still good!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Yes. I bet they are.

I'm Phil.

They are delightful , They are beautifully made
    Last edited by hifinutt; 16-06-2019 at 17:38.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345