+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New house, new listening room, new system

I'm David.

Default New house, new listening room, new system

Photos (use "grubby" the grey cat as a point of referance)

I can't belive how different it sounds, the high ceilings and suspended floors have swollowed a lot of bass, and I did shit my self before I put a couple of pictures on the wall ... There was very little bass indeed! Anyway, it's sounding pretty good now, but I can't really play it that loud yet, first night with new neighbours etc!
    Will be babbleing more in good time I should think!!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm ChrisB.

Whey....hey - yer in!!
    And it looks like you found spots to store the booze & the hifi! The two most significant places in any house!

It's begining to look like home already mate - I hope all your effort feels like it's been worth it.

It looks like your speakers will finally get the change they need to do what they can do.
    Even the cat looks reasonably happy.
    Cheers Mate!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Love that you have the priorities right - stereo set up, booze in the fireplace!

Glad it all went well (assuming it wasn't a total nightmare!) - enjoy!

(Must be some sort of record from looking to moving in? Takes most of us a lot longer!)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm David.

right let me tell you what we moved in today:
    1. Everything you can see
    2. Fridge
    3. Matress

we are doing it room at a time in order of importance, the hifi came was here before anything else!

Let me tell you about the sofa though - it is 66cm tall 100cm front to back and 217cm wide! The door into the room is standard hight and the hall way is too narow to manover it into the room. So, it had to go through the window - the pinchline: the hole that the sash window creates - exactly 66cm tall and 100cm wide! No word of a lie! We did laugh! well, that's after I shit my self for about ten minutes after remembering measuring the sofa as exactly 70cm tall
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Neil.

Looking good Hamish, looking good.

I would try firing the system across the room i.e the speakers each side of the fireplace...the floor tends to be stronger there. I would also put a carpet down ( boo hiss....I know but it will sound better).

You can try all this when you are fully in and got a measure of how the room is effecting the sound.

Glad everything went well.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm David.

We took the carpet up, it was hidious bright red and all dirty
    we have big plans for a room "makeover" but the actual configuration of the room as it is does apeal to both of us
    I think it might be worth while me getting some isolation for the speakers though, I remember listening to a system in a room with a suspended floor before with the speakers just on the floor and then on some stands that looked a little like Marcos hifi isolation things it apeared very effective in terms of bringing an overall tonal balance to the sound!
    Migh something like this be worth investigating?

I'm David.

There is def some tweaking to be done in here I think! I'm sure this floor must be some of the culiprit as the bloody cat walking past makes it wobble, but the room also seems a little bass less as even the tv sounds more thin!
    I can see me posting in the artists pallet a lot in months to come!!
    anyone got any thoughts on isolating the speakers better then? Maybe some granite under them? Or should I worry about the stand first?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Suspended floors can absorb and transmit bass, so perhaps a form of isolation may be a good idea. Jimmy hughes took a concrete paving slab and covered it with tiles to "decorate" it. the end result looked really good and he claimed it helped a lot too..

The Linn and Rega way was to either re-inforce the joists underneath the floor-boards (Roy Gandy's old vicarage had large voids under the floor to which he built brick "platforms" IIRC and Linn got us to lay an MDF "island" where the speakers were. I'll try and post some pics soon, when I get in the loft to find the photos..

If you're happy with the speakers where they are, then fine. I myself would have tried them either side of the fireplace and maybe put the huge TV above the fireplace(?)
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm ChrisB.

I used to live in a place with a really dodgy floor so I drilled through it then I bought some threaded bar the same thread & diameter as the spikes. I pushed it up through the boards from below, screwed it into the threaded bushes in the bottom of the speakers & then nipped up some nuts with big washers from below. It worked a treat but you have to know exactly where you're going to place them & be prepared for them to stay there. The holes are easy to fill later in needed.

However, later on in another house with a better floor, one of the best improvements I ever made to floorstanding speakers was to bolt 18mm steel plates to the bottom of them.

EDIT: The trick with the threaded bar came after trying Dave's trick with the MDF island - I screwed them to the floorboards, then sunk X-head screws through both & placed the spikes in the x-heads. The threaded bar workd better for me - but a bit more of a commitment!
    Last edited by The Grand Wazoo; 28-12-2009 at 14:04.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Hamish,

Glad you're in and settled now - that's half the battle! I wish Hannah and you (and all your pets) many happy and healthy years in your new home

I think it might be worth while me getting some isolation for the speakers though, I remember listening to a system in a room with a suspended floor before with the speakers just on the floor and then on some stands that looked a little like Marcos hifi isolation things it apeared very effective in terms of bringing an overall tonal balance to the sound!
    Migh something like this be worth investigating?
    In a word, yes! I've got the perfect solution too, some Mana Soundbases (surplus to requirements now I have the, erm, 'rather large' Tannoys), which would work superbly well under your PMCs - in fact, from experience I know just how effective they would be.....

If you want, Steve and me could pop down in the New Year and I'll install them for and you can analyse their effect to see if you like it

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast