+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041

Thread: Cheese Recommendations

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    ive a hard enough time speaking english
    Lol... It's a generational thing with you though, mate. Quite simply, the focus here now in schools should be on teaching pupils to speak, say French or Spanish, as much as in French and Spanish schools kids are taught English.

We (Brits) are simply too lazy when travelling abroad, and just automatically accept people to speak English, simply because it's one of the most spoken languages in the world, but I can assure you that that arrogance/lack of respect [often arisen from sheer laziness] isn't missed by the locals, who'll often be calling you all sorts behind your back!

One of my first tasks (as I'm more of a linguist than Del, although she speaks and writes German, which I can't) when travelling to a foreign country, if I don't already speak the language, is to spend a few weeks learning some basic phrases, and becoming competent with them, as the smiling faces of the locals when you put them into practice, and subsequent friendliness created, is always worth the effort.

Del generates friendly smiles, and the approval of locals, in other ways!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Anyway, we've just been shopping and, joy of joys, we found a proper baguette in Sainsbury's (I don't think they keep many in stock, so have probably missed them before):

Look at that lovely golden, thick crust - yum!

*THAT* is a decent effort at a genuine baguette! And only Ł1.25, which is cheap as chips

We'll be enjoying it tonight with some nice local cheeses, cold meats/pickles and some vino!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

ooha, thats a biggun
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Ha - don't be giving her any ideas!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Ha - don't be giving her any ideas!

Marco.
    lol.... sure it will be bitten into quite quickly
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Wossat, then? Not heard of it before

The basic (and age old) problem is that, in general, Brits simply aren't discerning enough about the quality of food that they eat, bread in particular, which is a *massive* part of European culture and where some form of crusty bread (commonly homemade) would accompany almost every meal. However, things here have improved massively from 20-30 years ago, where it truly *was* dreadful!

Quite simply, if people were more discerning, it would drive up standards and force manufacturers to cater for the demand, by creating better products, but as long as the majority of folk are happy with a 'Hovis special', or affronts to genuine baguettes (as shown), standards won't improve. We could make our own bread of course, but as we (or rather mostly Del) already cooks everything else from scratch, it's just a 'job too far'.

We just want to be able to nick into a shop that sells nice bread, buy it and be done with it, but which is becoming an increasingly difficult task!

Marco.
    Yes you have - I told you about the Chorleywood process some time ago.

But you are right about the French and bread. If they have done anything, they have taught the world how to make bread. Happy comes from a former French colony and they know how to make bread there. She is probably more choosey than I over these things, and her order of preference for supermarket-baked baguettes is: Marks & Spencer; Sainsbury; Waitrose and finally Co-op.
    Barry

Fair enough, but I don't remember it. In any case, it's about time that the system was reassessed/updated and standards improved!

The other thing is, I don't believe that supermarkets are devoting enough space to areas where, what they call 'Artisan bread' is sold (a stupid name, created simply to make it sound 'posh', and in reality just PROPER, i.e. not artificially processed bread), as there are literally only half a dozen small 'baskets' of such, separated from whole walls of processed 'pan loaf' crap, the contents of which are quickly sold out, but unfortunately not replenished as fast!

I'm pretty sure that if they devoted a greater part of their bread isles to selling the 'Artisan' stuff, more people would buy it, as I'm convinced the demand is there, even though the undiscerning masses will still buy the sliced processed shite, but it might encourage others to 'up their game', in the bread stakes, if proper bread was promoted more!

No doubt Happy knows what proper bread is, and would seek out such to eat. Of the stores you mention, M&S is pain to get to, as it's located within an indoor retail park, the parking for which is ticketed (with barriers) and you have to pay to get in, so it requires a 'special trip' - and from memory the bread selection last time I was there wasn't anything particularly special.

Waitrose is always good, but that's 10 miles away in Chester, so again a special trip is required, and the Co-ops round here are only small 'fill up' stores (not proper supermarkets), so unlikely to sell anything considered as 'exotic'. However, what we found yesterday in Sainsbury's (the baguette pictured) is about the best we've had from any UK supermarket, so that's what we'll be attempting to obtain in future!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

sainsbury stock a couple of gluten free warburton loafs.. both are decent considering there is no wheat in it still isnt bread as such but its better than nowt.. both are cob style, alas not cheap
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Sure mate, if your teeth aren't any good and you have a gluten intolerance, then you need to eat what you can eat!

However, for everyone else remotely interested in quality or eating healthily, and consuming bread that *actually is* BREAD, they should be upgrading their eating habits!!

Marco.
    Main System

Oh I forgot to say, one thing that the sliced processed shite is good for is making melba toast for pâté. Nothing else will beat it for that purpose, and the only reason we ever buy it!

Just toast the required number of slices, then cut off the 'crusts', slice the pieces in half, thickness wise (so that they're as thin as possible), then roll them flat with a rolling pin, to compact the bread, and put them into the oven for 10 mins or so, until nice and crispy and the edges curl up.

Serve with a pâté of your choice and enjoy!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041