+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheese Recommendations

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Carr's Water Biscuits every time! I hate the Hovis" digestive" type ones in selection packs, and not keen on cream crackers either really! Got a few cheeses to open this evening (with a nice 2005 Gran Reserva Rioja... nice!) I'll report back later! (If I can!)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Imjustsurviving.

This is a nice soft cheese

Also like these with smoked salmon
    Boursin with figs
    Boursin with walnuts
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Carr's Water Biscuits every time! I hate the Hovis" digestive" type ones in selection packs, and not keen on cream crackers either really! Got a few cheeses to open this evening (with a nice 2005 Gran Reserva Rioja... nice!) I'll report back later! (If I can!)
    Let's hear about the Rioja on the wine thread!

I'm with you on Carr's water biscuits. I also like oatcakes and (salted) melba toast with cheese, and sticks of raw celery with it.

As far as cheese is concerned I'm very much a traditionalist with fairly plain tastes. I hate some of the weird modern concoctions available now, such as cheese stuffed with cranberries and suchlike - sorry folks!

My favourites include an excellent ripe, runny, Brie de Meaux (the 'de Meaux' bit is significant, as it has much more flavour) or Camembert. Most of the stuff you get in this country though is too 'young'. When it's served in France you can almost eat it with a spoon!

I also really enjoy any strong blue cheese such as Stilton, Danish Blue, Dolcelatte (creamy blue), Gorgonzola, Roquefort, Bleu D'Auvergne, Cambozola, Cheshire Blue, etc.

I also love (proper) Bel Paese (shown below), Port Salut and Chaumes.

Classic Bel Paese:

Link here: http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/cheese_belpaese.htm

Truly wonderful stuff!

As far as hard cheeses go, my favourites include Pecorino Toscano (shown below), Grana Padana, Gruyere or Emmental, and virtually any mature cheddar, Wensleydale or Cheshire cheese.

Classic Pecorino Toscano:

Further details here: http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/prodv...eeses&prod=254

Simply awesome and one of the finest Italian cheeses you can eat (enjoy it with a lovely glass of Brunello di Montalcino).

I hate anything smoked!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm ChrisB.

I once had a fantastic meal in a resteraunt in Copenhagen. Now, despite being a fat bastard, I don't have a sweet tooth, so I generally go for the cheese & biccies if available. The cheese option at this place was called the Cheese Clock. You got 12 samples of different Danish Blue cheeses each at the various positions of the clock. You start eating at 5 past - the weakest flavoured of the 12. You then work your way round the face of the clock till you get to the strongest at the 12 o'clock position.

Now, I love cheese, and I love those that take the skin off the roof of your mouth with their strength. I'll eat blue cheese happily, but it's not my favourite. When I got to the 9 position, it was getting a bit strong for me! I seriously gagged several times before I was able to polish off the final hunk.

Thank God the Danish had thought of the perfect recovery strategy as they also guzzle beer like it's going out of fashion!

I'm Nobody.

I'm a non sweet tooth fat Bastard also chris..

Now who's guilty of the Rizt Biscuits
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 23-03-2010 at 03:19.

Hi Chris,

I once had a fantastic meal in a resteraunt in Copenhagen. Now, despite being a fat bastard, I don't have a sweet tooth, so I generally go for the cheese & biccies if available. The cheese option at this place was called the Cheese Clock. You got 12 samples of different Danish Blue cheeses each at the various positions of the clock. You start eating at 5 past - the weakest flavoured of the 12. You then work your way round the face of the clock till you get to the strongest at the 12 o'clock position.
    Interesting. I'd like to have tried that.

I very rarely eat desserts or puddings, either at home or at a restaurant (only really on special occasions), as in my view they're just 'stodge' and completely unnecessary after a proper meal. If I feel like I could still manage a pudding then quite simply I've not had enough to eat before it!

I prefer to fill myself with meat, fish, pasta, vegetables and suchlike, than sweet stuff or even cheese and biscuits afterwards - in fact, that's even worse because it's more filling than most desserts, once you've eaten some bread or crackers to go with it.....

So, yes, I love cheese and biscuits (and drinking wine with it), but only as a separate snack on its own, or as part of a buffet (along with assorted cold meats, etc) where I'm hungry enough to savour and enjoy it properly

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Imjustsurviving.

If you like strong Brie/Camambert type cheese look out for one called Le Rustique with a checked type pattern on the wrapping, it knocks your head off everytime you open the fridge.
    Jon

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer

LOL - I know what you mean... I think I've had that one before

Have you tried Brie de Meaux? It's different from the glorified 'white cardboard' sold in most supermarkets, pretending to be Brie.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Imjustsurviving.

I don't believe i have, we must look out for that, i have found a pic of Le Rustique, we have the red, i havn't tried the blue

Jon

Set up

Noted, Jon - cheers

The blue one will be a lighter (lower fat) version, hence "léger".

Here's the Brie de Meaux that I'm talking about:

Info here: http://www.cheesesonline.co.uk/Soft-...de-Meaux-Donge

You'll notice how much richer, riper, and more mature it looks compared to the pale, cardboard-like, offerings seen in most supermarkets. It has a much more luscious, stronger and creamier, flavour too: all-in-all a totally different ball game to any other (inferior) Brie.

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast