+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheese Recommendations

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

well this really made me laugh, not seen this thread before and thought, "nah, surely not" but yes, it really is about cheese... I love this place more and more

(I also love cheese)
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

This has just reminded me of something... I went out for a really nice meal a month or so ago for my birthday, and had some fab cheese, and thought I must post about it. I knew I'd never remember what it was, especially after some very nice Rioja - so thought I'd send an email from my work Blackberry to my home email account - unfortunately I must have had too much of the Rioja, 'cos checking back, I never received the email - although I did send one - wonder who too?

(Work email is down this weekend so I can't check!)

Been enjoying some Abbots Chutney with Mead - from a local farm produce shop, Baylham House Rare Breeds - can't link to it unfortunately as not on their website but very yummy!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

well this really made me laugh, not seen this thread before and thought, "nah, surely not" but yes, it really is about cheese... I love this place more and more

(I also love cheese)
    Well, Tim, we're not connoisseurs of hi-fi and music here on AoS

Marco (gourmet and wine connoisseur, as well as 'audiophile' and music lover).
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm ChrisB.

Yes it is quite a unique place.
    Not only is there a cheese thread, but it's so important that it's a sticky!

Well, Chris, we do rather enjoy the finer things in life, n'est-ce pas?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

MartinT Guest

I'm going through a bit of a Gruyere/Jarlsberg/Emmental phase currently. We enjoyed a simple reserve Emmental with baguette snack last night after a this-way-only IKEA experience and drive back from Wembley with a very packed car. Bottle of Crabbies, too. Simple and delicious!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    I'm going through a bit of a Gruyere/Jarlsberg/Emmental phase currently. We enjoyed a simple reserve Emmental with baguette snack last night after a this-way-only IKEA experience and drive back from Wembley with a very packed car. Bottle of Crabbies, too. Simple and delicious!
    So do I, from time to time - especially Jarlesberg. The Emmental I buy is the 'cave-aged' Emmental sold in Tesco.

"In secluded caves near Lucerne, the finest Emmental cheeses mature for about one year. Resting in cool, humid air of these unique sandstone caverns the cheeses acquire dense texture flecked with salt crystals. The result is a refined, yet intense flavor; strong and fruity with a mature woody finish. The gourmet cheese also has a wonderfully complex aroma of meadows and flowers with raisins and wood fires".
    Barry

I'm ChrisB.

We discovered another fabulous unpasteurised cheese today:

Gorwydd Caerphilly from Neals Yard Dairy

Millstone shaped cheese with piecrust-like edges and a wrinkled, grey-brown rind which the Trethowans called ‘the brains’. Three distinct flavours run through this cheese-its springy, citric, lactic center; oozy, mushroomy cream under the rind, and musty, earthiness of the rind itself
    (http://www.natoora.co.uk/shop/cheese.../prod9108.html)

It would be good, Chris, it's Welsh!

Did you slurp anything nice with it? Personally, I don't 'do' cheese without some nice red wine

Marco.
    Main System

I'm ChrisB.

No, it was just a little late pm snack because the evening meal was going to be delayed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast