+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 LastLast

Thread: Cheese Recommendations

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I'm not keen on sourdough bread, but I might give those crackers a try. But like you, I prefer a nice fresh baguette or baton with cheese.

No problems sourcing either in supermarkets here. Why should there be?
    Barry

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I'm not keen on sourdough bread, but I might give those crackers a try. But like you, I prefer a nice fresh baguette or baton with cheese.

No problems sourcing either in supermarkets here. Why should there be?
    The Carr's ones? They're great

In terms of baguettes, you can find soft, spongy 'things', which purport to be 'baguettes' (look somewhat like loofas), but not (at least round here) anything resembling the real McCoy, which is long and THIN and CRISP, with a hard outer crust, and which crucially are light as a feather and don't weigh half a ton, due to being more dough than anything else, and which taste of nothing...

What an authentic French baguette should look like, and which the likes of Tesco once sold: https://tasteofartisan.com/french-baguette-recipe/

Note the thick outer crust and golden colour, plus the heavily-aerated, off-white centre. The stick itself should be rigid, not pale-coloured, soft and floppy [stop giggling at the back], with a mushy centre, as found on current supermarket varieties, and only able to be cut with a sharp (serrated) knife, plus it should be thin, not wide and fat!

Since lockdown, and exit of the EU, we haven't tried Waitrose (as it's in Chester), but in all the supermarkets around here, and all the majors are represented, nothing resembling the above exists in their stores.

Yes, I'm super-fussy about bread, and things like baguettes and ciabatta being made PROPERLY to authentic recipes, with the appropriate flour!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The Carr's ones? They're great

In terms of baguettes, you can find soft, spongy 'things', which purport to be 'baguettes' (look somewhat like loofas), but not (at least round here) anything resembling the real McCoy, which is long and THIN and CRISP, with a hard outer crust, and which crucially are light as a feather and don't weigh half a ton, due to being more dough than anything else, and which taste of nothing...

What an authentic French baguette should look like, and which the likes of Tesco once sold: https://tasteofartisan.com/french-baguette-recipe/

Note the thick outer crust and golden colour. The stick should be rigid, not soft and floppy [stop giggling at the back], and only able to be cut with a sharp knife, plus thin, not wide and fat!

Since lockdown, and exit of the EU, we haven't tried Waitrose (as it's in Chester), but in all the supermarkets around here, and all the majors are represented, nothing resembling the above exists in their stores.

Yes, I'm super-fussy about bread, and things like baguettes and ciabatta being made PROPERLY to authentic recipes, with the appropriate flour!

Marco.
    but i like soft and floppy its all i have left mate....maybe

as for cream crackers, ive been buying sainsbury's own brand and they are as good if not better tan the originals at a third of price. pattersons oatcakes are very good too. rough type
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    but i like soft and floppy its all i have left mate....maybe

as for cream crackers, ive been buying sainsbury's own brand and they are as good if not better tan the originals at a third of price. pattersons oatcakes are very good too. rough type
    The princess would divorce me, lol!

But yes, I know where you're coming from, if you have little or no teeth, but for others, including me, with a mouthful of fully-functioning nashers, we like a CRUST!!

...and 90% of bread sold in UK supermarkets has no discernible crust, or if there is one, it's as soft as putty, and probably as flavourless! Are Brits a largely toothless nation? I dunno... But when you're abroad and go into a supermarket, especially in France, there's no shortage of nice CRUSTY loaves!

It's just the norm and what I was brought up with, not the soft, tasteless doughy shite usually sold here

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The princess would divorce me, lol!

But yes, I know where you're coming from, if you have little or no teeth, but for others, including me, with a mouthful of fully-functioning nashers, we like a CRUST!!

...and 90% of bread sold in UK supermarkets has no discernible crust, or if there is one, it's as soft as putty, and probably as flavourless! Are Brits a largely toothless nation? I dunno... But when you're abroad and go into a supermarket, especially in France, there's no shortage of nice CRUSTY loaves!

It's just the norm and what I was brought up with, not the soft, tasteless doughy shite usually sold here

Marco.
    lol, no she wouldnt... she would just bring me in and improve my teeth

no, i used to like a crusty thing myself(had plenty) ive a baguette tray that i used to make good french on. interestingly its countries like uk and america that eat cheap soft bread that is made quickly that have gluten and wheat issues by far more than places like france
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    lol, no she wouldnt... she would just bring me in and improve my teeth
    HAHAHAHA... Aye that sounds about right - ensuring she gets what she *WANTS*, one way or the other - settling for anything less is simply NOT an option!!

no, i used to like a crusty thing myself(had plenty) ive a baguette tray that i used to make good french on. interestingly its countries like uk and america that eat cheap soft bread that is made quickly that have gluten and wheat issues by far more than places like france
    Indeed, mate, and probably one of the reasons why I have no such issues, as I've eaten very little of that cack.

Marco.
    Main System

Things like this are being sold as 'baguettes', when they're simply not the same animal: https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...D540%26w%3D540

Marco.
    Main System

I'm guy.

Yes, your right about baguettes Marco - and bread in general. French bakers are a delight (and two bakes a day I think), one of the things that I miss about holidays in France.

I think we allowed large companies to get away with murder with the mass adoption of the Chorley Wood process - if I have a British baguette, I scoop out the inner (which you can roll in to a damp doughy ball

I think that the French have a set of regulations about what can be called a baguette, like so much about the French I admire and respect their attitude to food, and their pride in their own produce.
    Although the last time I went, about four years ago, it was noticeable that they seem to be increasing the number of bland food products and "fast food" outlets - progress I suppose
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    YI think we allowed large companies to get away with murder with the mass adoption of the Chorley Wood process...
    Wossat, then? Not heard of it before

The basic (and age old) problem is that, in general, Brits simply aren't discerning enough about the quality of food that they eat, bread in particular, which is a *massive* part of European culture and where some form of crusty bread (commonly homemade) would accompany almost every meal. However, things here have improved massively from 20-30 years ago, where it truly *was* dreadful!

Quite simply, if people were more discerning, it would drive up standards and force manufacturers to cater for the demand, by creating better products, but as long as the majority of folk are happy with a 'Hovis special', or affronts to genuine baguettes (as shown), standards won't improve. We could make our own bread of course, but as we (or rather mostly Del) already cooks everything else from scratch, it's just a 'job too far'.

We just want to be able to nick into a shop that sells nice bread, buy it and be done with it, but which is becoming an increasingly difficult task!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

back in the day, british wheat was low in protein so it wasnt ideal for making good bread.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 LastLast