+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: The Praise Good Dealers Thread.

I'm Gwyn.

Default Malvern Audio Research

Time for a big shoutout for a dealer who goes above and beyond.

Malvern Audio Research

Those of you who have been lucky enough to deal with Mark Manwaring-White (Ming Da Mark) will know what I’m about to say.

Thank You Mark! You’re a gent and a master of the valve. Your upgrades to my amps are breath-taking and I will do a write up shortly on my journey. Anyone wishing to hear why some prefer valve amplification or anyone with a valve amp that they wonder if an upgrade of components would be worthwhile, drop him an email or call him. You won’t regret it.
    I said "I'M A LITTLE DEAF"

I'm Gwyn.

Default Ming Da follow up

Well just when I think things can’t get any better.

A few months ago I was fortunate to be able to treat myself to a retirement present. I visited Mark at Malvern Audio Research and he fixed me up with a pair of Ming Da 845 monoblocs, tweaked by himself and matching preamp also fettled.
    These drive my Qacoustics Concept500’s with ease.

Now a day after I purchased these a chap offered me a pair of Ming Da 300b monoblocs in mint condition. (I had put wanted posts on the forums). Well, they are 20 years old and mint condition, to be on the safe side I thought Mark should check them out and advise me of any problems. So about five months ago I left them with him with the request that he add variable feedback to the design (I want to know why purists say zero feedback is best) and upgrade critical components.
    He advised me on inspecting them that the circuit could be tweaked and Mills resistors and Audyne Reference caps used in critical positions.
    Well two weeks ago he contacted me saying he was listening to them and was sure he could improve them further. He’s OCD. Two days later he rings to say he’s listening to the amps and I’m going to be pleased. Oh, what a tease.
    So Last week he called down to install the amps and see what I think. Would the 8 watts drive my speakers? Could they match up to the superb 845’s.
    The needle dropped and the first notes appeared in the air. Gobsmacked! How was 8 watts sounding like this, no problem driving my speakers to silly levels without a hint of strain.
    Now let’s get down to the nitty gritty. They sound very different from the 845 and which you prefer is very much to taste and your own setup. The 845 excels in speed dynamics and bass slam. The 300b in tones, soundstage and see-through vocals. Pick your poison.

But Mark being Mark didn’t stop there, he handed me a box of various 6sn7 valves and said ‘Have a play’. Not so much Ming Da as Ming the Merciless with the laugh as he departed.
    So days later I’ve tried Psvane CV181. Smoother but not a huge difference.
    Psvane blue globes. Oh these are nice, smooth with better separation of instruments. I’m thinking these are staying.
    But what on earth is this other box. Mei Xing blue box with Onions hand written on the side Hmmm

I dropped the needle and didn’t get back into my listening seat when the first three notes exploded. I stopped dead in my tracks. Where to start, well the soundstage just went 50% bigger with pinpoint placement and every instrument can be effortlessly picked out within the mix. But not by dissecting the music. The flow and nuance of the players is mesmerising. Bass is deep controlled with timbre but stays firmly within the music, not drawing attention to itself.
    Now as I said Mark said have a play he didn’t give me any prices. He wanted me to listen and see if a particular flavour was to my liking. The amps without the valve tweak were the Bees Knees, with the Mei Xing they are the Dogs Danglies. Mark tells me the valves are Black Onions. My son said what do they sound like? They sound like they’re not going back was my reply.

This is where a knowledgeable dealer is worth his weight in gold. I can find nothing searching the internet on Black Onions.

Thank you Mark for being a gentleman who goes about his business in a very unassuming way and delivers service with a smile and very good coffee. If you have a prejudice concerning Chinese HiFi go along to Mark, he guarantees everything he sells and just lets you listen.

I'm Martin.

+plus one from me. Outstanding knowledge and service,
    My Ming Da 805 are with him to be fettled...................can't wait
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

I'm Gwyn.

Martin, let me know how you get on with the upgrades ��

I'm Ian.

Default New Rega dealership.

If you are in or around the Salisbury area Cross Keys Audio are now an official Rega dealership,curated by a certain Mr Phil Marsh,they also have a sister shop that sells records in the same shopping center.
    No financial connection to either.

I'm Craig.

Thanks to Paul at Westlake Audio in Newton Abbot!

Told him my issue with the Wharfedale's, and he made a number of suggestions for speakers that would solve the problem.
    This was narrowed down to 2, and he spent time with me swapping them over for comparison.

I ended up buying some Boston Acoustics A 25's which not only sound phenomenal, they are extremely wife friendly!

Top marks for his friendliness and great service!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm John.

Like others on this thread I have nothing but praise for Mark Mainwaring White of Malvern Audio Research/Ming Da UK. Back in 2013 after I bought a genuine though grey import Ming da MC7R off another forum I found it had to much gain, after I posted Mark contacted me on the forum with an offer of help. I drove the 210 ish return miles to Malvern the first of many trips, when my Croft phono stage died he was there to help as it was as I now know cricket season so I was unable to contact Glen Croft, when my Rogue Atlas Magnum output caps died Mark was there replacing them with Audyn Reference caps & 1% HQ resistors a wow improvement, somewhere along the line we became good friends, my son who was at college would watch Mark who would explain to John jnr. as he worked, he taught John how to hard wire etc.

The most recent job Mark did for me was to more than halve the neg. feedback in the MC7R another wow, all these at very reasonable cost.

I would also sing the praises of Stanley Beresford what a lovely helpful man with a genuine no quibble policy & provides low cost upgrades to his pension friendly Caiman SEG.

i add Dave and Mike at MCRU having spoken at length to Mike an avid enthusiast with an unbelievable system. Last but by no means least Nick Gorham at Long Dog Audio delightful and mine of information.

I feel the need to add my late no nonsense friend Len Gregory aka The Cartridgman nuff said.
    Last edited by palace; 09-03-2022 at 12:23. Reason: parcel delivery

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by icehockeyboy View Post
    Thanks to Paul at Westlake Audio in Newton Abbot!

Told him my issue with the Wharfedale's, and he made a number of suggestions for speakers that would solve the problem.
    This was narrowed down to 2, and he spent time with me swapping them over for comparison.

I ended up buying some Boston Acoustics A 25's which not only sound phenomenal, they are extremely wife friendly!

Top marks for his friendliness and great service!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    wow never heard of that company . good to know
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by friendly View Post
    Martin, let me know how you get on with the upgrades ��
    Well at last I retrieved my Ming Da 805 monos from Mark after fettling. Two caps and a serious resistor were replaced together with a more convenient biasing system
    After only a couple of albums the results are amazing............glorious mid range and a solid growling bass Far more detail than I've heard through my s/s system.

Well done Mark
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

I'm Colin.

Default Elite Audio

Just a quick thank you for another great experience at Elite Audios shop. Good coffee and biscuits, and a couple of hours enjoyable listening. Very pleased with purchase, as always a delight to deal with

Colin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast