+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Linn Abandon CD"

I'm David.

Never? Go back 20 odd years Andre and tell me how much hdd's with 1 mb on would have cost
    SSD is the future - in one form or another, it won't be long until it's as cheap as discs! I have watched the new huge memory cards cost £250 as they come out! I can remember when a 4gb cf cost one of our customers £250 (plonker) and now it's the 32gb cards that cost that - they will be down to reasonable money in a year! Don't forget these things get bigger exponensialy but the price for the biggest size cards always come down to reasonable levels! There is talk of 1tb sdhc cards, Sony are developing a 1tb duo card when these things come down to reasonable prices in maybe 2-3 years how much do you think a 4gb sd will cost you... How much do you think it actually costs to make a 4gb sd? We buy them at the shop for maybe £5 for a basic one ... I recon they prob cost les than a pound to make now!
    Never is a strong word Andre, and with the greatest respec I think you entirely wrong!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Nobody.

Hi Hamish
    Not doubting it but can a card do everything a recordable disc can, i think not & a doubt very much a 5GB card will ever be as cheap as a blank DVD.

Every computer you buy apart from a note pad has a CD/DVD tray for free intergrated, don't have card slots.as mentioned before you can't record on a card/stick & go take it to your CD player & play.You have to look at all the versitility a disc has on offer, for a new thing to take off hifi, computers portable all have to come into line..The computer will always have a disc tray cos people will always want one to play the disc they own..But we'll see, not worth arguing about..

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Hamish,

Times change, formats come and go, for me the trick is not to get too bogged down or sentimental about them - just use what gives the best sound for you
    I completely agree. Other than enjoying the 'human/interactive' nature of a physical music collection on vinyl or CD, what you describe is exactly my philosophy.

Trust me, I'm not using valves, an ancient (albeit modified) 1989 Sony CDP and DAC, and even more ancient 1960s speakers because of misplaced sentimentality or nostalgia

It's quite simply because my ears tell me that the sound they reproduce is often vastly superior to their modern counterparts!

Therefore I don't give a monkey's bollocks whether the gear I use is brand new and up-to-date or 'legacy hi-fi'; all that matters is what sounds best to my ears.

Similarly, I will never buy equipment to use just because it's purported as the 'latest and greatest' by the hi-fi media, simply to appear as up-to-date or 'trendy', or because convenience is improved. There are far too many people with that mentality around as it is, often with crap sounding systems, and on a never-ending box swapping situation of dissatisfaction (Jerry excluded), as a result!! Any component which makes it into my system (new or old) does so on its sonic merit - nothing else.

Marco.

P.S Andre, stockpiling CDs and records is all well and good, but who's got the space to store 1000s of CDs and records somewhere and also the time to transfer all the music onto a computer? Digitising thousands of records alone would take forever, so count me out dude!
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Hi Hamish
    Not doubting it but can a card do everything a recordable disc can, i think not & a doubt very much a 5GB card will ever be as cheap as a blank DVD.

Every computer you buy apart from a note pad has a CD/DVD tray for free intergrated, don't have card slots.as mentioned before you can't record on a card/stick & go take it to your CD player & play.You have to look at all the versitility a disc has on offer, for a new thing to take off hifi, computers portable all have to come into line..The computer will always have a disc tray cos people will always want one to play the disc they own..But we'll see, not worth arguing about..
    the same could be have said for floppy drives ... Both my laptops have sd slots ... I'm not nesasaryly saying sd will become a standard, I'm just saying don't rule out them getting that cheap! SSD drives will replace hdd drives eventually I'm certain of it! In agrement with you though portable ssd in the form of sd cf whatever will unlikely replace cd.. What's the point when download bandwidth is increasing so fast?

Now you could say it's a bleak future- a world with no tangible media ... But try telling that to the Dali lama ... Or gene rodenbury it might not be all the bad!
    (il keep ma books though.. I'm not into those "reader" things or "e-books")
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Now you could say it's a bleak future- a world with no tangible media ...
    That for me would be a very bleak future indeed because we would lose almost all sense of being 'human' and become even more like robots than we are now....

Marco (someone who greatly values his 'human-ness' and sees computers as an unfortunate necessary evil in today's society, and who will continue to distance himself from them in all aspects of life wherever possible).
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm David.

I don't think material posesion/desire is always a good thing.. And I'm not sure it is anything other than a western trait, I certainly don't think it is something that makes us human ... But I guess that's a thread for "the art of philosophy" eh

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    That for me would be a very bleak future indeed because we would lose almost all sense of being 'human' and become even more like robots than we are now....

Marco (someone who greatly values his 'human-ness' and sees computers as an unfortunate necessary evil in today's society, and who will continue to distance himself from them in all aspects of life wherever possible).

I second that.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Nice one, Neil

Hi Hamish,

I don't think material posesion/desire is always a good thing.. And I'm not sure it is anything other than a western trait, I certainly don't think it is something that makes us human ... But I guess that's a thread for "the art of philosophy" eh
    Yep, it's probably one for another thread... Material possession/desire, in the sense you mean it, is not quite what I'm getting at when referring to being human.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    However I think that there are a few more very good players and transports out there than what Marco suggests....
    I've read great things recently about the Avondale Arcam Alpha 5 mod. Would the AAA5 be on that list?
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nice one, Neil

Hi Hamish,

Yep, it's probably one for another thread... Material possession/desire, in the sense you mean it, is not quite what I'm getting at when referring to being human.

Marco.
    i know, I'm just being a tit!

(incase you miss my comment in the gh1000hd thread.. Go have a look! I'm stunned)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast