+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Head to head: Sony CDP-XB920E Vs CDP-XB920E modified

I'm Nobody.

Well i'm saying it's better! The '920' doesnt have headphone out with volume control.The standard '930' does but the '930' has a 'UK Special Edition' version like i have,'920' doesnt..The 'UK Spec' actually has the '930' headphone socket omitted..'930' has some tweeks inside to make it a 'UK Spec machine'.They look nothing special but sound great.Fixed lazer mechs are the proper way of holding a CD.

Here's mine (See the red badge to the left)

I'm Jerry.

Do you not use a dac Andre?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    Do you not use a dac Andre?
    Not really tried one on it..It has both coax & digital outs..I'll give it a try

What Andre has said makes sense about the 930UK having upgraded components compared to the 920. I used to know as I compared the 920 with the 930 when I originally bought it. But it was a long time ago . . .

Certainly the mods to the analogue side of the 920 raise it to extremely high level, so plugging a DAC into the 930 should do similar, if not more. The Transport is first class, maybe not Sonys high end Top loading transport, but the next best thing. Stick a Trichord clock in and I doubt it would be easy to find a better transport.

I'm Jerry.

I shall have a think about upgrading the clock on my 920. The worry, of course, is how much life is left in the laser and mechanics despite it feeling like its bomb-proof.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

One question I do have to both Andre and Jerry, which filter setting do you use? I've always felt happiest with setting 2, but it's very subjective.

I'm Nobody.

Hi Kris
    Yes setting 2 is what i use..Tell you something the drawer on this machine is the quietest & smoothest drawer i've ever seen at any price level.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    I shall have a think about upgrading the clock on my 920. The worry, of course, is how much life is left in the laser and mechanics despite it feeling like its bomb-proof.
    '930' uses SONY 'KSS-213B' lazer as does the '920 you can still buy these for peanuts
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 14-02-2010 at 21:11. Reason: Mistake ammended. Thanks Kris..

I'm Jerry.

I only tried it once Kris and didn't notice any difference. That was before I got the 681 headphones which are very revealing. I shall make a point of trying the filters with my cans on. Watch this space.....
    Jerry

According to the service manuals, the 920 and 930 share the same mechanisms.

It isn't the KSM-213CCM though which is a fixed spindle, moving laser mech http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/32-15500

The 920 ans 930 have the CDM36C-14 mech with KSS-213B/KN laser, according to the service manual.

Kris.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast