+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Blade Runner 2049

I'm Paul.

My take on the movie - and the original is my favourite of all time - is that it's not long enough.
    There's too many questions and plot-holes, though the plot is excellent. Or at least the basic premise is and allows enough scope to explain why Deckard would still be alive in 2049, and the way the replicants changed in the intervening years. That was a stroke of genius and kept the audience guessing throughout.

Stylistically, it's absolutely spot on - flawlessly faithful from a visual point of view.
    I love the costumes, the details in the architecture, design, technology and so on.
    For the first 30-40 minutes it feels like a tribute film to the original - and that's no bad thing when you're tackling a cult classic. The cult classic.

The sound leaves a little to desire : I lost three, maybe four lines of dialogue because the speech was muffled. One of them was repeated, which made me think it may be deliberate, as if to ramp up the nihilism in this dystopian smogfest of a city, but I don't know .. especially when the little captions reading "Los Angeles" and the like were so bloody small as to be illegible without using that zoomy photographic gadget from the first film

I liked the music.
    It was in keeping and yet more. A little bombastic when needed, which was a welcome change of pace, but again faithful to Vangelis' vision.

The questions I have revolve mainly around the antagonist, played by Jared Lato.
    Also about a scene late on involving a chase with the flying cars - that felt too easy to me.
    Plus the final showdown was a little bit lame.

I came out of there happy with the canon being respected but wanting more by way of explanation and expansion.
    I hope there's a director's cut with another hour or so.
    I want to know more about Wallace, about Luv, about the girl behind the glass, about those memories .. I just want more.
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Another issue is the dating, way too futuristic for such a short gap in time compared to now. Big mistake dating anything, space 1999 anyone lol
    Nitpick much
    Steve

Never let anything cause you to doubt your ability to demonstrate the truth.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by zygote23 View Post
    Nitpick much
    Yeah Space 1999 is off limits. Neil knows that.

Good review that was Paul. Whetted my appetite. I'm one of the odd ones out who liked the original original, the one with the narration, the best.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Yeah Space 1999 is off limits. Neil knows that.

Good review that was Paul. Whetted my appetite. I'm one of the odd ones out who liked the original original, the one with the narration, the best.
    I love Space 1999, first season and some of the second, but predicting the future and how it will look is always very risky, so in my view putting any date on a thing is suicidal, re credibility - if the gap between now and then isn't huge. I struggled to get past the date which is only 30 years from now.

I will watch it again, but I really didn't like the music it was too atonal, and avant-garde for me.
    Regards Neil

I'm Grant.

space 1999? thats going back is it not? 70's was it
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

'72 to '74 I think.

It's precursor, 'UFO' was set in 1990
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

'72 to '74 I think.

could have been... lost in space was in 60's and I used to watch that on occasion, mainly for the evil and twisted Dr Smith and the daft robot..."Warning Warning Will Robinson"
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Lost in Space was just a kid's show. Not in the same league.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Neil.

Lost in Space was just a kid's show. Not in the same league.
    True, but it has its charms.
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

'72 to '74 I think.

Love UFO as well.
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast