+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Blade Runner 2049

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post
    I still can't see how the film suggests that Deckard is a replicant. Maybe the fact that he definitely isn't in the book, stops me seeing the possibility.
    Replicants have their memories and dreams pre-programmed. These pre-programs are known about by those working in the replicant industry.

In the film Deckard has a dream about an unicorn. Later on, one of the policemen who has asked Deckard to take on the assignment, and who has a habit of making origami 'doodles', leaves a paper unicorn at Dekkard's appartment, having previously commented, somewhat cryptically, to Dekkard after killing the last rogue replicant that "that's a Man's job you have done". Why would he say that if Deckard wasn't himself a replicant and not a man?
    Last edited by Barry; 23-12-2016 at 15:26. Reason: correction
    Barry

I'm Nodrog.

Nah, still don't buy it. Someone is reaching for answers to an unnecessary question. A bit like conspiracy theories. The other replicants are much stronger than him. Why, if his job is retiring replicants, would they not make him stronger than them or at least as strong?

I'm Jerry.

The teaser trailer looks brilliant and retains many of the elements of the original -crowded streets, excellent lighting and , as Gaz pointed out, a music score similar to the original.
    I cannot wait......
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Nah, still don't buy it. Someone is reaching for answers to an unnecessary question. A bit like conspiracy theories. The other replicants are much stronger than him. Why, if his job is retiring replicants, would they not make him stronger than them or at least as strong?
    You're not alone: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/blade-runn...163051717.html

And taken from the Wikipedia link:

The question of whether Deckard is intended to be a human or a replicant has been an ongoing controversy since the film's release.[27] Both Michael Deeley and Harrison Ford wanted Deckard to be human while Hampton Fancher preferred ambiguity.[28] Ridley Scott has confirmed that in his vision Deckard is a replicant.[29][30]

Deckard's unicorn dream sequence, inserted into the Director's Cut, coinciding with Gaff's parting gift of an origami unicorn is seen by many as showing that Deckard is a replicant – as Gaff could have accessed Deckard's implanted memories. The interpretation that Deckard is a replicant is challenged by others who believe the unicorn imagery shows that the characters, whether human or replicant, share the same dreams and recognize their affinity, or that the absence of a decisive answer is crucial to the film's main theme. The inherent ambiguity and uncertainty of the film, as well as its textual richness, have permitted viewers to see it from their own perspectives.

Some even argue that Tyrell was also a replicant.
    Last edited by Barry; 22-12-2016 at 21:40. Reason: Wiki link added
    Barry

I'm Gary.

Barry,
    you know your Blade Runner.

Whats your take on the new trailer?

I'm Martin.

If they don't want him to know he is a replicant, his having super-human strength and dexterity would be a dead giveaway.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Yeah James,
    The music was a big part of the first one, bit of a Vangelis nut here.

Though not him thats doing it, the music snippets from the trailer sound good, hear a lot of nods to the Vangelis original.
    Same guy that did the music for Prisoners, Sicario and Arrival.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/25/12...2-sequel-score
    The Vangelis score really did the original justice and is superb on vinyl. There does seem to be a nod to Vangelis in the new trailer, wonder why they didn't ask him to compose stuff for the new film.?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    If they don't want him to know he is a replicant, his having super-human strength and dexterity would be a dead giveaway.
    Then why set him up as a replicant retirer if he is at a disadvantage? Just makes no sense. I trust Philip K Dick. He wrote the story after all. If the film producers see different things in it then fine but I'm stuck with the original vision and am not for turning...well, apart from wood anyway.

Don't suppose the world will end.

I'm Gary.

In the film Deckard's boss says that six replicants jumped ship and made their way to earth, one got killed.
    Deckard was hunting down FOUR replicants...

so where (and who?) was the fifth?

I'm Nodrog.

His boss obviously knew about his love interest!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast