+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upward firing speakers

I'm Jerry.

Default Upward firing speakers

The latest cinema sound processing calls for speakers either ceiling mounted or upward firing. Ceiling mounted is, of course, not practical for most people but upward firing is possible.
    There are a number of manufacturers now producing them but the cynic in me thinks that the design will be little different from a normal speaker laid on its back and angled by 20 degrees.
    Anyone experimented with this approach? Annoyingly, I recently gave away a nice pair of Mission speakers so will have to buy some to try it out.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    The latest cinema sound processing calls for speakers either ceiling mounted or upward firing. Ceiling mounted is, of course, not practical for most people but upward firing is possible.
    There are a number of manufacturers now producing them but the cynic in me thinks that the design will be little different from a normal speaker laid on its back and angled by 20 degrees.
    Anyone experimented with this approach? Annoyingly, I recently gave away a nice pair of Mission speakers so will have to buy some to try it out.
    Do you mean speakers sat on the floor and angled towards the listener? If so, I tried it with my usher s520's, was kind of ok
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Mike.

How about some Carlsson/Sonab speakers? Modern alternatives are available in the form of Larson speakers and i think Audio Pro made some very suitable ones...
    Qube they're called:

Inspired by the classic Carlsson OD11 i belive..

I'm Jerry.

The Sonab's are too big and too expensive-there is a pair on fleabay with the tweeters not working for £400!
    I already have 8 speakers in the living room so the next two have got to be discrete. I was thinking about buying a couple of full range drivers and sticking them in a box.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Martin.

What is this you are building, some sort of 10.2 system?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    What is this you are building, some sort of 10.2 system?
    Haha, no just live in a 4 bed detached with the AV system and hifi in the same room. I have an understanding wife.
    Jerry

I'm Martin.

I mean are the upward-firing speakers some additional speakers to the usual ones? Or is this some new trend in HT?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adam.

Deuvel Planets and Enterprise plus others.

Larsen 4, 6 and 8.

I'm Rob.

I thought of the new Neat Iota Alpha speakers when I saw this thread. Not really in the right price bracket though.

Rob.