+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alzheimers...any experts...particularly medical folks

I'm brian.

Default Alzheimers...any experts...particularly medical folks

Just a cry for help from me.

My Dad was diagnosed with this horrible disease a few years ago, and things have being going downhill since then.

I know that this is a progessive disease and things get worse, but Im kind of floundering at the moment and would welcome any input.

He has lived on his own for many years ( he is 84 ) in sheltered accomodation, where he has looked after himself. cooking , washing etc , etc

But about 1 year ago we had to put other stuff in place. This help has gradually increased, and he now gets 3 visits daily to help with all aspects of his life.
    This is a mixture of me paying privately for some stuff and social services paying for other stuff.
    All aspects of his life are now helped/supervised.

That side of things is all fine and Im not looking for advice in that area.

Im looking for specific advice, just on the medical side, if possible.

I have full power of attorney and pretty much make all choices now in relation to his life.
    About 6 weeks ago we had a review of his position, including the Dementia Consulatant who looks after Dad.
    He decided that his condition merited a doubling of the dosage of the drug which slows down the worsening condition. Also to put Dad on anti depressants. I went with it, and agreed.

Since then , we seem to have had a marked deterioration in every way.
    increased confusion, frustration, sadness etc etc.
    I now receive daily tearful phone calls. Crys for help. Heartbreaking stuff, as I live 5 hours away, and only manage up once a month, or in emergencies !!

As I said, i know this is only going one way, and that there are no rules about how quickly this occurs.

It is just that things seemed to have changed so quickly since this latest drug change. The mental health team want to give the new drug regime longer.

Im really not keen to argue with a Dementia consultant............. But......

It may just be a coincidence and a natural part of his decline....but it doesnt feel right.

Any thoughts, please

I'm Grant.

I would certainly speaking again to this consultant and his gp too. May well be that the extra meds are not suitable or need adjusted. Dont just accept what they say, as they make mistakes like everyone. The time may come when a home may be only viable alternative but at moment i would be trying to get his meds adjusted or changed.
    Ask about weaning him off the extra ones and see if there is an improvement etc. Sure his/your gp will give you support
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Sorry to hear this Brian. I can't advise, but I do sympathise, we're going through a similar situation with the 93 year old mother in law. My wife is now having to stay with her indefinitely, as she can't be left on her own.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alan.

I'm not medical at all but I don't see why the anti depressants come into the equation.

I have lived through dementia with my father so I know of some of the problems. Best wishes for an improvement.

I'm John.

The only help I can offer is that people who have the condition have been shown to benefit from music therapy, it helps them to show the progression of the disease and helps them make the best of their clearer times .....

I'm Josie.

I'm not sure if my mum has got it. Spooky, I've just called her doctor about this...

She is more depressed this time of year. As soon as the clocks change it really takes hold. It could be S.A.D but the other thing she really battles with is the death of my father in 2005. I can't talk to her even now without her bringing him up. And yes, tearful and confused on the phone also.

She's a very proud person and won't speak to anyone about it but it's getting me down and so something has to be done to help.

Best wishes to you and yours.
    Jo
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Rob.

Have you consider posting on the Alzheimers Society forum?
    Rob.