+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Exploding low energy light bulb

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    It was a no-expense-spared Tesco bulb. Not an expensive Philips or anything like that but should be safe coming from a major supermarket, whatever the price.

Pauper that I am, I've used these cheaper supermarket low-energy bulbs for some years. 90% of them are fluorescent types, now all golf-ball types as the exposed spiral ones ran hot and didn't last long. Smoke could mean the starting? capacitor inside the base failing? Just lately, I bought some LED mini-golf-ball types from CPC (Pro Electric make I think) at a couple of quid each. Our landing lamp (we use an uplighter for evening permanent illumination) is a 3.5W type and we have three 5W ones in our kitchen in a vintage-style simple plain triple fitting. The 'colour' of the soft-white light has improved a lot, not so 'cold' as earlier ones were, and of course they come on to full brilliance from switch-on, where our older fluorescent types come on much darker and take time to 'warm up.'
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Jez.

I once had a go at repairing some of these lamps... the switch mode PSU fails first in about 70% of cases and the heater filaments (2) the rest of the time. It wasn't really possible to take them apart without causing such physical damage to them that the cost of glue etc to reassemble them would be as much as a new bulb!
    IMHO, having peeked inside them, it should be possible for ones lasting 10 year or more to be made rather than the two or so they usually last.. all money and marketing etc though of course! I believe I have seen them with "up to 10 years" on the packaging... yeah right...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Steve.

LED mock filament ones are nice.
    Can't comment on longevity as we've been here just under the year.
    We have loads of them and down lighters in the ceilings in half the rooms. Not a halogen our fluorescent bulb in the house.
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

I did use the low energy bulbs for years and certainly didn't have any explode

I've now replaced all mine with some LED jobbies
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Those LED jobbies are not without fault either. I have had a couple where the brightness will suddenly drop in level after they have been on for a while.

Probably rouge samples as in general I really do like them, energy efficient, they achieve full brightness instantly, run cold, and look just like the old tungsten filament light bulbs.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123