+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Why do these 2 sources sound different to each other whilst playing exactly same CD?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by 57charles View Post
    Bumpy - Look, I'm not a technical person and have come on here to ask some technical and highly educated people why I'm hearing a difference - if you don't like my question, go and masticate on a house brick.
    Charles, that remark was completely uncalled for and inexcusable. I'm afraid we don't address each other here in such a derogatory manner. Please don't do that again or you will face disciplinary action.

Also, we don't allow members to moderate their own threads or retaliate against other members whom they consider have acted adversely towards them. The procedure is to report the offending post(s), and let us deal with it.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm charles.

Marco - thanks for your reply - my retort was basically because as a non technical person on here, I don't expect nor will accept being talked down to, on here or anywhere else for that matter - mine was a simple question from myself - a non techie - and I don't expect to it to be answered by another quite condescending question - what is the point in asking me why I didn't think there would be a difference if I was asking the question in the first place?- if the person who replied couldn't or wouldn't give me their views then what was the point in them replying to me?...Just sayin'.

Marco - thanks for your reply - my retort was basically because as a non technical person on here, I don't expect nor will accept being talked down to, on here or anywhere else for that matter - mine was a simple question from myself - a non techie - and I don't expect to it to be answered by another quite condescending question - what is the point in asking me why I didn't think there would be a difference if I was asking the question in the first place?- if the person who replied couldn't or wouldn't give me their views then what was the point in them replying to me?...Just sayin'.
    Charles, I understand where you're coming from. However, regarding the bit in bold, I'm afraid if you want to remain here, then next time that happens you *must* not react towards the person responsible and instead report the post, and WE will deal with the matter, not you.

Failure to comply with that will result in YOU being reprimanded, and indeed you could also end up banned, if you insist on fighting your own battles. You're only new here, so I suggest that you try and settle in more quietly and stop causing waves.

In any case, I'm not debating with you any more on this, so please observe what I've said and apply it in future.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm matt.

Well I thought a couple of posts were a bit patronising too.

I've never experimented with different transports but I do find it interesting that a lot of the techy types say it's not possible to hear a difference and yet people with ears I trust say they can actually sound different.

I'm Geoff.

There would be little point in buying an expensive transport if they all sounded similar. Some can cost many thousands of pounds.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm charles.

Marco - thank you for your kind understanding on this matter. I will follow your directions in future and apologise for breaching forum etiquette.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    Well I thought a couple of posts were a bit patronising too.

I've never experimented with different transports but I do find it interesting that a lot of the techy types say it's not possible to hear a difference and yet people with ears I trust say they can actually sound different.
    I do agree, Matt. My own (considerable) experience in this area confirms that transports can, when designed properly, effect significant sonic improvements. I've compared too many flimsy, plastic DVD-ROM mechs against metal-constructed dedicated CD-only transports, with clamping mechanisms, huge independent PSUs, etc, for said effect to have been imagined.

It's about vibration and noise control, and in that respect providing the optimum environment for discs to be accurately read by the transport concerned, with minimal loss of fidelity.

Therefore, as ever in audio, not everything is as 'cut and dried' as the techy types like to think!

Marco.
    Main System

Marco - thank you for your kind understanding on this matter. I will follow your directions in future and apologise for breaching forum etiquette.
    Thank you, Charles. Much appreciated!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Alan.

It's only a string of digits ...Ha

I and quite a few on here realise that everything matters in audio. The mechanical/electro transducers on the sides of your head are superlative, trust what you hear Charles.
    There is often no simple explanation for these scenarios.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    Sorry, but you must have failed to hear a good digital cable. The result is far from minuscule.
    I used to be very confident that they did too, until I started blind testing and A/B switching between 2x cables hooked into identical transports. I use BNC sockets & where possible proper impedance matching, which is available via my Halide Bridge USB to SPDIF converter, which is much better than any CD transport I've used, and as it's an integrated unit, no more worrying about switching cables. There are far, far more important things to think about, which are jitter and clock drift.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast