+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do these 2 sources sound different to each other whilst playing exactly same CD?

I'm charles.

Default Why do these 2 sources sound different to each other whilst playing exactly same CD?

I have a Sony SACD XA3000ES CD player and a Denon DVD A1 DVD player (used as CD deck) both connected to TEAC D-T1 DAC. I have 2 copies of identical CD and when I play them simultaneously on both machines and switch the TEAC to output one and then the other, there is a definite difference in sound - not necessarily quality just different. The Sony sounds more livelier and the Denon a bit 'darker' - both sound excellent but I can't make my mind up which I prefer. don't understand why there's such a large difference - any thoughts/
    Amp is Yamaha Z9 and speakers are Spendor SP2/3r2.
    Thanks!

I'm Grant.

Cables? Or differing output. Dodgy transport v good one all possible. Take it youve switched the disc round just in case
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

Just proves that transports and cables do sound different.

I'm Geoff.

I have a choice of three CD player/transports and they differ a lot in sound via my DAC.

I would say though that DACs seem to have an even greater variation in sound. Unsurprisingly, given the different types of design.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Neil.

Cables make a minuscule difference, if any, in digital audio.

Both transports are extremely likely to be bit perfect on their SPDIF outputs, which leaves the clock signal. It is ridiculously easy to transmit perfect data (digital), but remember, the clock is analogue...

Thus, the differences are due to jitter and clock drift.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm charles.

Both units have the same co-ax digital cables connecting to the DAC and there is no difference in volume levels when switching between the transports.
    I know that the Denon was a top of the range DVD player in it's time (approx. 3000 pounds) with battleship build quality and high grade transport and power supplies and I believe the Sony was highly regarded as well. Like I said, I'm talking about different sonic presentation not a lack of or difference in quality - for example I've also hooked up a Denon 2900 (a well regarded DVD player used as CD transport) and the sound became strained and lightweight and even more so with my Yamaha DVD S2700 which was at the top of the Yamaha range at the time and this too sounded really lightweight and uninvolving. I als tried my Sony BDP S5000ES blu ray and used it as a cd deck - it was also superior in sound quality but annoyingly I couldn't see if there was a way to programme CD tracks for reply on it - so it's used for blu ray only.
    I know both the Sony 3000ES and Denon A1 have very well worked power supplies with multiple transformers. Wonder whether this could be a factor?

I'm charles.

Incidentally, I consider the Sony to have a little more 'zing' compared to the darker, richer sounding Denon but neither are at all fatiguing and in fact they both sound superior to anything that has gone before - like I said, just a different presentation of rather excellent sound reproduction (to my ears, at least).

I'm Grant.

Power supplies are critical, should say can be. Take it youve swapped all the variables round and difference remain with machine. Nice test, although ive heard a machine sound nothing special yet transformed via a good buffer. Mine in fact lol. Have you tried them both out using their own dacs as another trial. If it stays the way it is then it suggests the psu. Transport can make a difference but wouldnt think it would do what this is doing. Also swap dac sockets as ive had a dadgy one once
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Jez.

Different DAC IC's, op-amps, capacitors, voltage regulation and grounding regime between the two machines..... simple as that.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Different DAC IC's, op-amps, capacitors, voltage regulation and grounding regime between the two machines..... simple as that.
    They are being used through an off board DAC so the same DAC chips in both cases, hence the mystery. Although it is only half a mystery as anyone with ears can hear that transports sound different (not necessarily better or worse).

I've read that is that a co-ax/spdif cable does not transmit the data the same way electrically as a computer type cable like a USB cable does and this creates differences in cables as noise and distortion can be generated, although in this case the cables are identical.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast