+ Reply to Thread

Thread: any ideas what cart and stylus was used on garrard sp 25 mkiv

I'm mike.

Default any ideas what cart and stylus was used on garrard sp 25 mkiv

no markings of any kind on the cart or stylus, stylus is red and is quite similar in shape and fitting to the at91. was there a standard cart fitted on these?
    cheers
    Mike.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Pics please. Slide the carrier out (best to gently pull the cartridge itself as the carrier grips are too damned small).

Loads of cartridges were used in these, from Goldring G850's (Hacker and Dynatron units from memory) and probably what you need, to Goldring G800's, AT66's and a motley collection of ceramic cartridges too. By the end of this model and going into the belt drive descendants, Shure M75-6S models took over.

I could and have write/written reams on servicing these things as they all suffer dried grease messing with correct operation. I won't bore anyone here more than I usually do, but look on Vinyl Engine and also the UK Vintage Radio site, where you'll find literally hundreds of threads all discussing various incarnations of 'Garrard Glue' which afflicts all of the Autoslim derived decks including all the SP25 idler and SB belt driven models, as well as the AP/SL/Zero decks with the larger chassis and flip or tab controls.

I'm mike.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Pics please. Slide the carrier out (best to gently pull the cartridge itself as the carrier grips are too damned small).

Loads of cartridges were used in these, from Goldring G850's (Hacker and Dynatron units from memory) and probably what you need, to Goldring G800's, AT66's and a motley collection of ceramic cartridges too. By the end of this model and going into the belt drive descendants, Shure M75-6S models took over.

I could and have write/written reams on servicing these things as they all suffer dried grease messing with correct operation. I won't bore anyone here more than I usually do, but look on Vinyl Engine and also the UK Vintage Radio site, where you'll find literally hundreds of threads all discussing various incarnations of 'Garrard Glue' which afflicts all of the Autoslim derived decks including all the SP25 idler and SB belt driven models, as well as the AP/SL/Zero decks with the larger chassis and flip or tab controls.
    yep,, exactly the problem with this one....gummed up something rotten underneath, never done one before but thought i would give it a try..it plays but you can hear it needs sorting out, speed is a bit off and you can see why underneath, its like honey. picked it up cos i thought id have a play around an it looks kinda cool..any tips or watch out for's are welcome.
    cheers
    Mike
    p.s.
    i will try to get pics on as soon as.

I'm mike.

so the complete headshell will come free from the arm? do in need to unscrew the head or just gently pull it off.
    thanks
    Mike.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by 09mike69 View Post
    so the complete headshell will come free from the arm? do in need to unscrew the head or just gently pull it off.
    thanks
    Mike.
    No, the headshell does not come free from the arm, so don't tug it!! There is a plastic plate called a cartridge carrier that slides under the headshell into place. Have a look at the very front of the headshell and on each side you should see a couple of very small ridged areas. Get your fingernails into these and pull forward and the carrier will slide out.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I should have made it clearer. Hold the main cast outer headshell firmly and gently tug the cartridge, which should slide out on its thin carrier, which is called a C2 if you want to look it up (I don't have pics to hand). I have no finger nails to insert around the fiddly frontal bits and this is how I did it and still do with my AP76 which shares this carrier.

When you take off the platter, be very careful with the thin plate trim around the spindle, which pulls out. The turntable fixing clip only goes one way, so make a note. After this, it's all in the myriad of threads I mentioned as they're all the same.

Is it worth doing? I'd say it is. The G850 and 800H were pretty horrid things by todays standards imo although I revised my opinion on a good G800 which is rather better with a good stylus, and an AT95E would also be far better. For playing singles and so on, you'd do a heck of a lot worse than fitting a Stanton 500V3 tracking at 3g, which I believe to be the best of the multiple models by Stanton and related Pickering's in this series and it's normal, rather than turbo charged output wouldn't overload many phono stages. The Shure SC35C and Ortofon OM Pro would also work well I think.

I'm mike.

I should have made it clearer. Hold the main cast outer headshell firmly and gently tug the cartridge, which should slide out on its thin carrier, which is called a C2 if you want to look it up (I don't have pics to hand). I have no finger nails to insert around the fiddly frontal bits and this is how I did it and still do with my AP76 which shares this carrier.

When you take off the platter, be very careful with the thin plate trim around the spindle, which pulls out. The turntable fixing clip only goes one way, so make a note. After this, it's all in the myriad of threads I mentioned as they're all the same.

Is it worth doing? I'd say it is. The G850 and 800H were pretty horrid things by todays standards imo although I revised my opinion on a good G800 which is rather better with a good stylus, and an AT95E would also be far better. For playing singles and so on, you'd do a heck of a lot worse than fitting a Stanton 500V3 tracking at 3g, which I believe to be the best of the multiple models by Stanton and related Pickering's in this series and it's normal, rather than turbo charged output wouldn't overload many phono stages. The Shure SC35C and Ortofon OM Pro would also work well I think.
    thanks for taking time out, i'll have a look at it over the next couple of days. its not easy trying to get a pic of the cart as the arm doesnt lift enough. i also agree that its worth doing too, the sound it made, even though its been sat for god knows how long, seemed pretty good. barring the speed issue. should i re oil the parts or leave them clean and dry?
    all the best
    Mike.

+ Reply to Thread