+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prima Luna

I'm Shaun.

Default Prima Luna

OK, so I weakened yet again and bought a secondhand Prima Luna preamp with built in phono stage and also a brand new Prima Luna Dialogue Premium power amp. This was in place of a Croft pre/power setup with which I will always have issues.
    So, changing over from a Samson Servo 600 studio power unit, the first and most obvious difference is the sheer clarity and purity of the sound. The treble has air and sparkle and the midrange has a stunning liquid sound to it. The bass is OK but lacks grip and authority.
    My favourite valve has always been the EL34 for its mid and treble. I readily accept its limitations in the bass. My jazz albums sound stunning my electronic music sounds good. So far so good.

I'm Grant.

Thats very pretty Shaun. Sure you will get used to the bass being different.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Do please be aware of the tone control effect of this amp into any speaker with half a crossover... You may well love it deeply, but your speakers won't sound as intended by their designer... (see reviews in Stereophile for evidence).

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Do please be aware of the tone control effect of this amp into any speaker with half a crossover... You may well love it deeply, but your speakers won't sound as intended by their designer... (see reviews in Stereophile for evidence).

So bloody what, Dave!

S.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

PM sent Shane.

I'm Shane.

PM sent Shane.
    ??

S.

I'm John.

Just read the review and the guy said he couldn't find fault with it, a glowing review if there ever was one.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post

OK, so I weakened yet again and bought a secondhand Prima Luna preamp with built in phono stage and also a brand new Prima Luna Dialogue Premium power amp. This was in place of a Croft pre/power setup with which I will always have issues.
    So, changing over from a Samson Servo 600 studio power unit, the first and most obvious difference is the sheer clarity and purity of the sound. The treble has air and sparkle and the midrange has a stunning liquid sound to it. The bass is OK but lacks grip and authority.
    My favourite valve has always been the EL34 for its mid and treble. I readily accept its limitations in the bass. My jazz albums sound stunning my electronic music sounds good. So far so good.
    Lovely Shaun. Regarding the bass, if you're not already doing so, try the 4 ohm taps.

I'm Shaun.

Yes John, I always use the four Ohm tap with ordinary loudspeakers unless they truly are above eight Ohms. Just like to add that I haven't heard it with vinyl yet but hopefully there will be time for a really good analysis. With CD though, the stereo image is not as wide and cavernous as it was with the Samson but then these valves have around three hours on them. Also, I am currently using Mark Grant 4mm VDC cables which I am still not totally sure about. The jury is still out on these. I have tried triode and ultralinear mode which has simply left me wondering why the hell offer triode mode...? What the hell does it achieve...? Ultralinear offers air and sparkle, power and drive and also a good deal of energy. No contest methinks.

I'm John.

Yea, best give it a couple of weeks to run everything in, valves, caps etc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast