+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Bumpy's system

I'm julian.

Hi Chris,
    How would you compare the Transcription Audio amp to your 45's ?

kind regards,
    Joolz

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by joolz View Post
    Hi Chris,
    How would you compare the Transcription Audio amp to your 45's ?

kind regards,
    Joolz
    Sorry Joolz I missed this .

I think its mostly about the power. 45's deliver a very sweet 1.8 watts, but the 211s push out about 20 watts and always give the impression they are 100% in charge. They are slightly less sweet than the 45s, but make up for it in reserves of drive.

I generally compare a mini and a Roll Royce at 70 mph. Both are very comfortable at that speed but the Rolls Royce performs in a much more relaxed way.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm julian.

Thanks Chris,
    I think that's a very good analogy, and bears out what i believe i have heard.
    PS Audio Directstream DAC, modified Dennon DVD player, SP10, Trans Fi linear tracker, Stack audio streamer
    1980's Aloia 6L6 prototype, Cat's Whiskers Autum Leaves 300 B mono blocks, Definative Audio modded Rogue 88 Magmum 6550. Firebottle LDR battery pre. Classe 103, Herron VT2
    RFC Tannoy Cheviot's,Wilmslow Audio modified Chario Academy Millenium II's,Frankenstein DIY's, Oris Onken horns, Fostek full range drivers
    Ripnas etc

I'm Chris.

I am in the process of rebuilding and hopefully improving my open baffle speakers. All changes are reversible if it goes awry.

1. Out go the Saba 8" Greencones to be replaced with SEAS Alnico W8 drivers. These are so good that I have done away with upper and lower crossovers so they run full range. There is an additional bonus for SQ by removal of the passive crossovers.
    2. Out go the Grundig 4" Alnico high frequency drivers to be replaced by Klangfilm Alnico 4" drivers. Comparison of their weights Grundig 330g and Klangfilm 555g, roughly reflects the improvement in SQ.
    3. The mid and high frequencies are left exclusively to the 211 triodes and the 15" Altec Alnico drivers are fed independently by an ICE amp (1000ASP) through a MiniDSP to set the low pass filter and equalisation. They seem to be best crossed over at about 100Hz so not far off being subs

Tuning is ongoing
    P1090047.jpgDSC_1174.jpg
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Chris.

New addition to my amps.

Elekit small.jpg
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Peter.

That's a nice looking amp, you must have got in pretty quick with that one, how's it sounding?
    TT: Pro-ject 1.2, Ortofon Blue
    Phono stage: Muffsy
    Cd: Linn Karik
    Dac: Denafrips Ares II
    Amps: Pre: EleKit TU-8500, Power: Cambridge Audio Azur 651W
    Speakers: Chario Hiper Tower 2000
    Cables: Linn, Straight Wire & Chord Clearways
    Headphones:PC, Ifi Zen Air, Sennheiser HD450 & HD569

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete812 View Post
    That's a nice looking amp, you must have got in pretty quick with that one, how's it sounding?
    I wanted a 300b amp that captured all the essence of this single ended triode and it certainly does that. It is the Elekit with improved transformers etc. For a kit amp the build quality is exceptional.

It came with Softek 300Bs of unknown age, so I am looking to replace them with good quality valves up to about £500 a pair.
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    I wanted a 300b amp that captured all the essence of this single ended triode and it certainly does that. It is the Elekit with improved transformers etc. For a kit amp the build quality is exceptional.

It came with Softek 300Bs of unknown age, so I am looking to replace them with good quality valves up to about £500 a pair.
    Glad that it sounds good, I have it on my wish list to match up with my preamp
    TT: Pro-ject 1.2, Ortofon Blue
    Phono stage: Muffsy
    Cd: Linn Karik
    Dac: Denafrips Ares II
    Amps: Pre: EleKit TU-8500, Power: Cambridge Audio Azur 651W
    Speakers: Chario Hiper Tower 2000
    Cables: Linn, Straight Wire & Chord Clearways
    Headphones:PC, Ifi Zen Air, Sennheiser HD450 & HD569

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete812 View Post
    Glad that it sounds good, I have it on my wish list to match up with my preamp
    You wont be disappointed. Highly recommended.
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456