Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Beware I think it's biased.
    Was that a valve joke?

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Was that a valve joke?
    You saw what I did there... cos I didn't really

I'm Chris.

Bit more info about the amp for anyone interested.

Half wave rectification
    Massive mains transformer wound to Transcription Audio's spec
    Oil filled 2Kv capacitor nearly the size of a house brick
    Inter stage transformers
    C core output transformers
    Output about 20 watts
    Driver valves are RTC E182CC
    Valve rectifiers are CV187
    Triodes are GE VT-4-C (211s)
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Chris.

Nipper seems quite impressed
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Justin.

Get some Audionote molybdenum 211s and see if Nipper likes them.

I'm Chris.

Get some Audionote molybdenum 211s and see if Nipper likes them.
    Look very interesting, but suddenly the price doubled due to a misunderstanding
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Chris.

Managed to grab a picture of the main capacitor in my amp.

422uF and 1800volts

cap small.jpg
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    Look very interesting, but suddenly the price doubled due to a misunderstanding
    What do you mean?

I had heard they were quite reasonable. But then I spoke to a chap who reviewed them for a magazine.

He said they were £800 plus VAT a pair. Not so reasonable. In fact, quite pricey.

He reckons they are better than ELROG and Psvane WE replica.

I'm Chris.

What do you mean?
    I think the first reviewer thought the price he had been given was for a pair, but later it turned out to be just one

You need to be pretty serious, or minted, to spend nearly a grand on consumables.
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Chris.

Bought a pair of Psvane 211 TII valves for insurance.

At about £230 a pair they are excellent value. Bass is deep and firm and the mid range is opening up beautifully as they run in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast