+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bumpy's system

I'm Chris.

I am into classic cars and have recently discovered the best polish I have ever used, so it seemed rude not to give my open baffles a once over.

Now they're beginning to really shine visually.

Last edited by bumpy; 06-05-2017 at 19:21.

I'm Peter.

Hi Bumpy. Lovely looking setup. I've often been tempted to see if I could use some quality car wax I have to bring a bit more shine to my lacquered speakers but have never been brave enough, nevermind polish. What was it you used?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupotea View Post
    Hi Bumpy. Lovely looking setup. I've often been tempted to see if I could use some quality car wax I have to bring a bit more shine to my lacquered speakers but have never been brave enough, nevermind polish. What was it you used?

Hi Peter. I'm no professional at polishing but I am a scientist (chemist) so take more note of how things work than perhaps many people do.

Most painted surfaces (including clear coatings) get dull over the years due to cleaning and dusting. Microscopically there is a build up of tiny swirls on the surface that diffuse light and make the finish progressively more dull.

Most polishes cut away the surface of the paint until it has been reduced (by a few microns) to the depth of the swirls which then obviously disappear. You will note that much of your valuable painted surface ends up on the polishing cloth. T Cut is a classic example, but the majority of other polishes act similarly, though not as harsh as T Cut.

Recently I bought a black classic car, and this colour is very demanding of a perfect finish, so I spent some time Googling about polishes and discovered Auto Balm by Bilt Hamber Laboratories. It is in no way an abrasive polish,so you cant cause any damage to a paint surface. I tentatively tried it on a small area of the wing of my car and all swirls disappeared, so next up were my open baffle speakers where the paint finish was looking a bit tired. Again it worked great.

Sorry, but this is beginning to sound like an advert, so I'll leave it at that.

I'm Justin.

Bilt Hamber Double Speed wax is the best car wax I have come across. Both my Porsche and Apogee speakers are coated in the stuff.

The double speed bit is bullshit though it is quite hard to apply.

I'll order some of the polish.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Bilt Hamber Double Speed wax is the best car wax I have come across. Both my Porsche and Apogee speakers are coated in the stuff.

The double speed bit is bullshit though it is quite hard to apply.

I'll order some of the polish.
    Apply very sparingly from damp sponge. The sponge should almost take it all off as you go. It seems expensive, but a little goes a long long way

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    Apply very sparingly from damp sponge. The sponge should almost take it all off as you go. It seems expensive, but a little goes a long long way
    I have something similar so I'll give it a whirl. Knowing my luck I will forget they're slippery next time they're moved and promptly drop them.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    A passive preamp slips seamlessly into the system.

The pre amp has been upgraded by using Audionote non magnetic tantalums as the shunt resistors. All other resistors remain as Charcroft Z foil resistors. Performance clicks up again.

I'm Chris.

Finally got to take a half reasonable photo of my speakers. Photographing gloss black is not easy.

Have no idea where all the other pictures have gone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Chris.

The Transcription Audio 211 amp joins the system.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Justin.

NOS GE 211s.

That system looks good. I reckon I'd like it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast