+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Golden Gate Lampizator

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo View Post
    Scott, are you Bill's friend Scott? Why don't you try his recti, it will outperform your NOS'
    Given that you haven't heard his "NOS" in his system, how can you possibly say that?

Also, Ked doesn't own a system and hasn't for a long time. His list of valve pecking order isn't actually based on long term ownership, it is based on quick comparisons done on other people's systems. Even if it was, I am not sure it would be any more valid.

Preferences can alter pretty quickly with changes elsewhere in your system, and you have the flexibility to fine tune via the DAC, which can be a very helpful facility to have. With a recent crossover change, my notional valve pecking order list has changed.

There is no best valve.

I'm Ked.

Justin, I had the tubes on my Big 7 when I had the system - I owned 242, 300b, 101d then.

Trials are not quick, in some systems they are repeated and across systems. Also, if I find in one system Valve X performs the best, that guy continues to enjoy Valve X for many months after that. Regarding rectis, many have tried many, and the KR has always been the favorite apart from the Takatsuki which I haven't heard so won't comment on. I also had many NOS rectis with my big 7.

The differences in deltas are consistent when they work - sometimes they just don't, e.g you can put the special 45s in and they will sound wimpy if they do not work. They are always noisier than the KR valves but that is fine for the people who like them.

I understand your preferences altered with crossover, they will also alter with upstream electronics.

I'm Ked.

Also, let me clarify what I am trying to say - if 242s do not fit your electronics or crossover, it is worth tuning the Lampi till it does. It is gain + o/p voltage not sure what Lukasz does, but the strategy should be to build around that. Of course, you first need to be convinced that's worth the trouble and so better, which can only be achieved by finding out a system in which the 242 works to see what the jump in delta is. Analog guys do it all the time when they match tonearm to cart and the gain of the cart to the phono. Digital guys seldom or ever do that.

I'm Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I don't doubt differences can be heard. But I'd love to know why. I'd also like to know if a good sold state rectifier is as audibly acceptable, as they do feature in some good amplifiers.

There's not much chance of Lampizator equipment coming my way these days. Retirement means funds need to be kept well in check!
    I’ve bought a solid state Rectifier and put it in Lampizator. All the magic went for me. There’s some magic in them there tubes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Scott.

If the 242s worked in your system no other tube will sound close. 242s sometime distort due to high gain and impedance mismatch with pre, but if they work, they will kill everything else.

Btw, 300bs are all different, and I have already tried the special 300bs from the Pacific.

As for PX4, the PX25 and the special 45s are both better than the PX4s - but usually both may not work in a particular system, one or the other will. This is due to the fact that each Lampi and system have different gains, and there is some impedance matching with the pre.
    What are your thoughts on the Kr Rk 300b’s Ked?

I'm Ked.

Quote Originally Posted by vegman1973 View Post
    What are your thoughts on the Kr Rk 300b’s Ked?

Hi not yet sure, they were not the best match for a high gain system we tried them in, so will have to try in something like Bill's system to check.

I think when people talk about valve preferences and system match, I am not referring to tonal preference and match, e.g rolled off valve for a bright system etc. I am referring to a gain and impedance match valve, as that is where things go wrong

I'm Scott.

Hi not yet sure, they were not the best match for a high gain system we tried them in, so will have to try in something like Bill's system to check.

I think when people talk about valve preferences and system match, I am not referring to tonal preference and match, e.g rolled off valve for a bright system etc. I am referring to a gain and impedance match valve, as that is where things go wrong
    Ok. I’d be interested in a listen also. You should head up North to Sheffield with then and the KR 5u4g

I'm Scott.

Loving the sound of my new PX4’s I’ve changed the Rectifier to an old French 5r4gy double D getters. Must admit it’s a good match and very musical

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234