+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phono stage advice for active speakers

I'm gordan.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I partially disagree. The speakers apparently have an input impedance of 10K and so a 10K pot based passive driving cables up to 3-4 metres should be ok. If the op needs to route cables of 10M to them for WAF reasons or whatever then an active pre should certainly be used.

may be suitable technically (on a paper) but there would be no bass. been there, done that. he needs an active preamp with <100ohm output impedance or a passive (like TVC) that translates a source's output impedance to the actives (and in that case he needs low imp sources).

there is absolutely no reason why a tube preamp would not be able to drive these speakers except that generally tube preamps have a higher OTP impedance than solid state, however there are exceptions like EAR for example, 864, 868, 912 etc.
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post
    may be suitable technically (on a paper) but there would be no bass. been there, done that. he needs an active preamp with <100ohm output impedance or a passive (like TVC) that translates a source's output impedance to the actives (and in that case he needs low imp sources).

there is absolutely no reason why a tube preamp would not be able to drive these speakers except that generally tube preamps have a higher OTP impedance than solid state, however there are exceptions like EAR for example, 864, 868, 912 etc.
    It's one of those forum cyclicle things that keep coming around I guess... some like passive and some like active.. IMO it would work fine with a passive. I have both here and I don't get "no bass" or in fact any problem with bass when using a passive... in fact a passive is flat to DC!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Peter.

Default Accession

I have AVI DM5 actives with the AVI active 10" Sub, and the Graham Slee Accession phono stage, my PT1 has never sound so good :-)
    Movies ~ oppo 105 ~ marantz SR8001 ~ tannoy precision ~ BK Monolith Sub
    Vinyl ~ beogram 8002 ~ graham slee accession phono pre
    Red Book ~ Teac PD-H600 ~ red wine audio signature 30.2 ~ akg k-1000 headphones

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12