+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IPL S5TL & NVA - Information needed

I'm Josie.

Default IPL S5TL & NVA - Information needed

Hello there.

I am looking to change my speakers and came accross some built IPL S5TL.Transmission speakers.

I have NVA rig with bi amped A80's and A40's - Does anyone know if these would be a good match in regards to power etc.

Also, has anyone got any S5TL's?

Thanks
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm David.

I saw them... Look interesting!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I think Tony Moore has some S5TLs. Maybe he can comment. All i can say is they're good....and big. Shouldn't imagine them being a problem for any half decent amp.
    AL

I'm Josie.

Great.. Thanks fellas. Maybe Tony can throw a little more on these unusual speakers. How would the external cross overs be connected with these, is it more likely to be on the speaker side or the pre-amp out to amps side?

I ask as my preamp is passive.

Wouldn't mind to know how something like this stands up generally to say B&W speakers.
    Last edited by The Black Adder; 04-12-2009 at 09:47.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Tony.

Hello there Black Adder,

Yes, I have the S5TL Golds. I built them a few years ago, before the gold tweeter went out of production. Mine were built from the kit of veneered wood as I'm no great shakes as a woodworker. (A bookshelf project in woodwork at school underwent so many disasters that the only salvageble result at the end was a wooden duck ornament that I gave to my Mum! ) In fact she seemed quite pleased with it.

Anyway, this was them being built so you can see the insides:

I built with the crossovers inside the cabs but I guess it would be preferable to mount them outside to reduce the effects of vibration and possible magnetic interaction with the big driver. An easy thing to do, mounted in a box on the rear of the speaker or on the floor.

I use them with a WAD 300B PP amp, they're reasonably sensitive, certainly loud enough for my listening levels. I really like the low and mids, effortless delivery of the lower midrange and upper bass that tends to be forced on a lot of smaller speakers. I'm sure that they're probably coloured as any speaker is but it's a sound I can really live with.

Cheers,
    Tony

I'm Josie.

Hey Tony.

Great! - many thanks for the information. Would you say that they are generally coloured more than say B&W or Monitor Audio? - Or is there no comparison?

I am very interested in the internal design, whats the idea behind the labyrinth layout? - Most speakers on the shelf today are simply boxes with some wadding, apart from PMC of which are very very expensive

Cheers
    Joe

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm David.

CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm David.

Although I couldn't tell you if that lot of info is correct...

I'm Josie.

Interesting!... Many thanks Hamish.

Cool photography too !

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm David.

Cheers

+ Reply to Thread